[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
General Talk --> Re: C&D,The 2019 Honda Pilot Looks Tougher and Drives Better
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0 touring or TLX V6 Tech FWD
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity BEV
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Odds of a hatchback SiR?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2009 Honda S2000 Edition 100
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Red Bull Racing Confirms Gasly for 2019
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> hodge·podge
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Cash incentives for the Canadian Accord?
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: CEL problems
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Type R > > Re: DC-R

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author
  Post New Thread
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2018 01:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Very nice R.

Have you picked up another set of wheels/tires for winter time use in Michigan?

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2018 03:29
It does have a purposeful stance from that angle. :)
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2018 09:23
DCR wrote:
A little grainy but while I was waiting in the city for a friend to get down to the street, I snapped a night pic.

Looks great! Next time turn the steering wheel to the left just a little! ;-)

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2018 10:20
The upper hatch mounted spoiler is tres formidable.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2018 12:36
superchg2 wrote:
The upper hatch mounted spoiler is tres formidable.

...and designed in such a way that you can't really see it when you are driving. You'd think it would obstruct the view, but it does not.

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2018 14:09
DCR wrote:
A little grainy but while I was waiting in the city for a friend to get down to the street, I snapped a night pic.

Very stealthy looking. Love that color.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2018 09:55
DCR wrote:

Looks sharp DCR. Too bad my 16" Blizzaks are likely not a fit cause I'd gladly give you those. Only a few hundred miles on them.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-09-2018 00:34
The smallest I have seen is 18's...I don't see how 16's would clear those brakes. I've got to figure out the winter set pretty soon so I don't pull my usual and worry about it when I can't get out of my driveway.
KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2018 11:20
DCR wrote:
Now that I have put 2500 miles on the car and the honeymoon is over, I would say that my only lasting complaint is the cheap shit steering wheel controls. I guess that is a good thing, but my left hand is always, constantly reminding me these are there. Hard, jabby plastics make no sense here.

I'm curious now that the CTR is more broken in what you think of the sound? I think I remember you saying that you thought the engine/exhaust sounds, at least in the cabin were fine. A lot of people criticize the CTR for that but you thought it was pleasant enough(correct me if I'm wrong). Has the sound changed at all over time? Do you still enjoy it or is it just meh to you now? I drove a 2.0T Touring Accord and I actually enjoyed the sounds the motor made so I have to imagine the CTR would be better. Would like to hear from a relatively new owner about that.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2018 15:47
Sometimes I want more sound and sometimes I don't. I am not sure if that makes any sense, but there it is.

Exhaust wise, in order to get a growl, you have to be aggressive through the powerband but the car can be pretty loud in quick RPM bursts like taking off coming out of a turn on the boil. I think people see the odd looking 3 pipes exhaust and expect it to sound louder than it is or different than it is but it doesn't sound anything like a Honda I have owned before. This is neither a lawn mower nor a V6 and it sounds like a good compromise between "look at me" and "that sounds dumb". You can also get some burbling going if you are riding at lower speeds at a relatively higher RPM right before the point where you feel like you need to shift, but I really notice it when I am engine braking coming down slope.

Engine note wise, I wouldn't mind more sound here because the car sort of undersells itself on take off after you get through the initial "holy shit" moment as the entire car vibrates as you bang off the first shift, into the second pull where your passenger gets the sense of how snug the Type-R seats are. There is a section of road where I live where you turn onto an on-ramp and the road snakes left and down slope immediately and then transitions to the right as you merge in 80-85 MPH traffic. This is by far my favorite loop to take people on because it is 3 miles from my house one way and loops right back the other way. The Type-R handles this left turn with so much grip and absolutely no tire slip or noise at all...it is like the car is a magnet clamped to metal and not one single passenger has remained quiet vocally during this demonstration. I think if you add more engine drama to that moment, it would be even better.

I am going to buy the Mishimoto intake at some point, because that sounds awesome and really opens up the "PSsssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" air noises you barely hear in stock form.

My excitement has died down some because I am getting used to it, but still is the most exciting Honda product I've ever touched. It is second nature for people to take pics, video, throw thumbs up out the window, some cut me off, some fly by, some flash their lights behind me, approach me when I stop, etc. It has so much detail and surface treatment that I think it just wows people who don't know Tonight my wife and I will go to dinner and we will take her Murano because it is especially bad when people are all over the place. I realize this car isn't a Ferrari or some shit but it really gets attention, right and wrong, all the time. Last week I gave a homeless dude some change out the window (I always give it to people that say they are going to buy beer with the money...I would too) and I couldn't get away because was asking about the frigging car.

I was majorly turned off by the looks at first, and it was almost enough to not buy the car. Then, I kept reading article after article, review after review on how good it was. All of you here know I do not pull punches on my opinion, and I wasn't lying when I said if I have to drive ugly, it is going to have to drive better than it looks. I'm here to admit that I have completely flipped on my stance...I love how it looks now. The drive...the feel, it is incredibly difficult to describe the feel. Everything is so locked down from the driving position, and in +R you can just feel the car loaded up like a spring. Thick wheel, heavy input and that precise shifter with no play just communicate to you that this isn't a toy and can get you in triple digits way too fast... you just know this thing is a serious machine and literally will not give a shit what anyone else thinks. They can laugh at it if they want, that is fine, but I know what it can do and most other cars you'll encounter on a daily basis will be eating the wall well before the Type-R meets the limits of capability. Not one person who didn't like the looks has gotten out of that car after I put their guts in the seat next to them in corners and said that they didn't like it after that.

Anyone who drives one understands I would think. Sorry about the wall of text...I do not typically write that much.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2018 16:37
DCR wrote:
Sometimes I want more sound and sometimes I don't. I am not sure if that makes any sense, but there it is.

Exhaust wise, in order to get a growl, you have to be aggressive through the powerband but the car can be pretty loud in quick RPM bursts like taking off coming out of a turn on the boil. I think people see the odd looking 3 pipes exhaust and expect it to sound louder than it is or different than it is but it doesn't sound anything like a Honda I have owned before. This is neither a lawn mower nor a V6 and it sounds like a good compromise between "look at me" and "that sounds dumb". You can also get some burbling going if you are riding at lower speeds at a relatively higher RPM right before the point where you feel like you need to shift, but I really notice it when I am engine braking coming down slope.

Engine note wise, I wouldn't mind more sound here because the car sort of undersells itself on take off after you get through the initial "holy shit" moment as the entire car vibrates as you bang off the first shift, into the second pull where your passenger gets the sense of how snug the Type-R seats are. There is a section of road where I live where you turn onto an on-ramp and the road snakes left and down slope immediately and then transitions to the right as you merge in 80-85 MPH traffic. This is by far my favorite loop to take people on because it is 3 miles from my house one way and loops right back the other way. The Type-R handles this left turn with so much grip and absolutely no tire slip or noise at all...it is like the car is a magnet clamped to metal and not one single passenger has remained quiet vocally during this demonstration. I think if you add more engine drama to that moment, it would be even better.

I am going to buy the Mishimoto intake at some point, because that sounds awesome and really opens up the "PSsssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" air noises you barely hear in stock form.

My excitement has died down some because I am getting used to it, but still is the most exciting Honda product I've ever touched. It is second nature for people to take pics, video, throw thumbs up out the window, some cut me off, some fly by, some flash their lights behind me, approach me when I stop, etc. It has so much detail and surface treatment that I think it just wows people who don't know Tonight my wife and I will go to dinner and we will take her Murano because it is especially bad when people are all over the place. I realize this car isn't a Ferrari or some shit but it really gets attention, right and wrong, all the time. Last week I gave a homeless dude some change out the window (I always give it to people that say they are going to buy beer with the money...I would too) and I couldn't get away because was asking about the frigging car.

I was majorly turned off by the looks at first, and it was almost enough to not buy the car. Then, I kept reading article after article, review after review on how good it was. All of you here know I do not pull punches on my opinion, and I wasn't lying when I said if I have to drive ugly, it is going to have to drive better than it looks. I'm here to admit that I have completely flipped on my stance...I love how it looks now. The drive...the feel, it is incredibly difficult to describe the feel. Everything is so locked down from the driving position, and in +R you can just feel the car loaded up like a spring. Thick wheel, heavy input and that precise shifter with no play just communicate to you that this isn't a toy and can get you in triple digits way too fast... you just know this thing is a serious machine and literally will not give a shit what anyone else thinks. They can laugh at it if they want, that is fine, but I know what it can do and most other cars you'll encounter on a daily basis will be eating the wall well before the Type-R meets the limits of capability. Not one person who didn't like the looks has gotten out of that car after I put their guts in the seat next to them in corners and said that they didn't like it after that.

Anyone who drives one understands I would think. Sorry about the wall of text...I do not typically write that much.

A nice summation of what this bad boy can do!

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2018 18:00
Needs a wash and windows wiped down (rear one has a little window sticker adhesive), but the color really looks different in full light.

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2018 19:25
DCR wrote:

Nice write up. If I was in the market I feel like would have probably found myself in one of these badboys, despite my increasing reservations about the looks. I have a real problem with the type of attention drawn by this car. Not because I really care what people think, but because I like to go about my business under the radar.

Anyways, I do hope Honda continues to offer the R this side of the pond for years. I feel like I would eventually find myself in one.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2018 23:11
DCR wrote:

Awesome response man. All that text comes from passion for the car so you clearly made the best possible choice for yourself lol. Sounds like a very satisfying ride overall. Have fun.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2018 00:49
KaySee wrote:
DCR wrote:
Now that I have put 2500 miles on the car and the honeymoon is over, I would say that my only lasting complaint is the cheap shit steering wheel controls. I guess that is a good thing, but my left hand is always, constantly reminding me these are there. Hard, jabby plastics make no sense here.

I'm curious now that the CTR is more broken in what you think of the sound? I think I remember you saying that you thought the engine/exhaust sounds, at least in the cabin were fine. A lot of people criticize the CTR for that but you thought it was pleasant enough(correct me if I'm wrong). Has the sound changed at all over time? Do you still enjoy it or is it just meh to you now? I drove a 2.0T Touring Accord and I actually enjoyed the sounds the motor made so I have to imagine the CTR would be better. Would like to hear from a relatively new owner about that.

The Type R sounds fine but the sound definitely falls well short of what one would imagine such a beast of a machine (performance-wise) should sound like. The carpet just doesn't quite match the drapes.

When you first fire it up, there's a good bit of a rumble, but the intensity doesn't really increase beyond that level. Earlier this year I took my Type R to caffeine and octane to meet up with some other Honda guys. As I was leaving C&O, there were some c&o bros sitting on lawn chairs watching the cars leave and when they saw my car I heard them yell "let's hear that VTEC". I figured they were mocking the car to an extent, but at the same time in my mind I was thinking about saying "I HAVE IT SITTING ON THE LIMITER" because I'm pretty sure they still wouldn't be able to hear it.

Sadly, the far more pedestrian L15B in the Si has a better exhaust note. My kid has been touring Japan for the past two weeks so I've been enjoying driving his Si. I really do like that car a LOT as a daily. Incredible fuel economy when you soft pedal it, but great handling and solid acceleration when you boot it. It's an incredible highway car - easy 40+mpg all day long and STRONG roll on acceleration (especially with Hondata reflash). Turbo lag is a pretty big deal with it, but you can learn to drive around it.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2018 13:37
Did you hit your head recently Jeff?
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2018 14:40
DCR wrote:
Did you hit your head recently Jeff?

No. just commenting on how there's not a lot of exhaust sound to the Type R (besides a strong WHOOOSH at higher rpms - try sitting in the back seat while somebody else is driving it hard). And commenting on the irony of the fact that the Type R has 50% more power than the Si, but you'd never know it by comparing the exhaust sounds. I hadn't driven the Si for awhile until recently and it sort of struck me as funny.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2018 21:08
JeffX wrote:
KaySee wrote:
DCR wrote:

The Type R sounds fine but the sound definitely falls well short of what one would imagine such a beast of a machine (performance-wise) should sound like. The carpet just doesn't quite match the drapes.

When you first fire it up, there's a good bit of a rumble, but the intensity doesn't really increase beyond that level. Earlier this year I took my Type R to caffeine and octane to meet up with some other Honda guys. As I was leaving C&O, there were some c&o bros sitting on lawn chairs watching the cars leave and when they saw my car I heard them yell "let's hear that VTEC". I figured they were mocking the car to an extent, but at the same time in my mind I was thinking about saying "I HAVE IT SITTING ON THE LIMITER" because I'm pretty sure they still wouldn't be able to hear it.

Sadly, the far more pedestrian L15B in the Si has a better exhaust note. My kid has been touring Japan for the past two weeks so I've been enjoying driving his Si. I really do like that car a LOT as a daily. Incredible fuel economy when you soft pedal it, but great handling and solid acceleration when you boot it. It's an incredible highway car - easy 40+mpg all day long and STRONG roll on acceleration (especially with Hondata reflash). Turbo lag is a pretty big deal with it, but you can learn to drive around it.

Nice to hear from someone with access to both current performance civics. Seems similar to my experience as well.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2018 23:46
KaySee wrote:
JeffX wrote:
KaySee wrote:
DCR wrote:

Nice to hear from someone with access to both current performance civics. Seems similar to my experience as well.

Yes, I should point out that the sound in the Type R isn't unpleasant by any means, it's just not as inspiring as you might hope to hear from a car which is cranking out over 160hp/liter*.

*the 306hp rating is rather conservative

Last edited by JeffX on 08-11-2018 23:48
THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2018 23:54
JeffX wrote:

Yes, I should point out that the sound in the Type R isn't unpleasant by any means, it's just not as inspiring as you might hope to hear from a car which is cranking out over 160hp/liter*.

*the 306hp rating is rather conservative

Channeling your inner TonyEX* with the asterisk, eh?

*Tony likes to way overuse the asterisk.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2018 23:41
We all have our writing styles...I am a big ellipses guy.
fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 03:01
JeffX wrote:
"let's hear that VTEC". I figured they were mocking the car to an extent, but at the same time in my mind I was thinking about saying "I HAVE IT SITTING ON THE LIMITER" because I'm pretty sure they still wouldn't be able to hear it.

Isn't the VTEC on the new CTR start at a very low RPM and the turbo kick in at higher RPM. I remember hearing this somewhere I just don't remember where.

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 03:04
JeffX wrote:
"let's hear that VTEC". I figured they were mocking the car to an extent, but at the same time in my mind I was thinking about saying "I HAVE IT SITTING ON THE LIMITER" because I'm pretty sure they still wouldn't be able to hear it.

Isn't the VTEC on the new CTR start at a very low RPM and the turbo kick in at higher RPM. I remember hearing this somewhere I just don't remember where.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 03:33
Finally got to drive my nephew's R this morning, he managed to scrape the passenger side "side skirt" off the car in a tight multi storey parking lot, so I took it in to a friends body shop [that's what you Americans call it?] to get some pricing on a replacement for the bottom skirt, and a repair on one of the upper skirt's attachment points.

Anyway, actually driving it as a "normal" car for an hour or so, rather than wringing it's neck out on a test drive, reinforced everything I'd noted initially - it's just such a fabulous car, goes around corners better than you would believe possible, the drivetrain is as smooth as silk, the ride comfort, even in Race mode on our streets is perfectly acceptable, it's power delivery in Race mode would have me buying new tyres every other month were it mine, but you know, I don't remember a single thing about the noise the car made!! Sad. Oh and I wasn't very comfortable in those seats, I'm afraid that type of transport has past me by as a daily! :(

Honestly it was as enjoyable as driving the NSX as a driving experience, then I got out of the car....... :D

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 05:33
DCR wrote:

I feel the same way about this car. I love it, all of it, including the looks despite having criticized it a lot at the beginning.

People are still wowed by it, day in, and day out.

When I get in my Si though, that sound, nothing beats that sound. 309,500 miles and counting. Running like a champ. I can’t believe I bought that car nearly 13 years ago - I’m just happy a lot of us are still here in the TOV hanging out, chatting about our CTRs.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 05:53
sadlerau wrote:
Finally got to drive my nephew's R this morning, he managed to scrape the passenger side "side skirt" off the car in a tight multi storey parking lot, so I took it in to a friends body shop [that's what you Americans call it?] to get some pricing on a replacement for the bottom skirt, and a repair on one of the upper skirt's attachment points.

Anyway, actually driving it as a "normal" car for an hour or so, rather than wringing it's neck out on a test drive, reinforced everything I'd noted initially - it's just such a fabulous car, goes around corners better than you would believe possible, the drivetrain is as smooth as silk, the ride comfort, even in Race mode on our streets is perfectly acceptable, it's power delivery in Race mode would have me buying new tyres every other month were it mine, but you know, I don't remember a single thing about the noise the car made!! Sad. Oh and I wasn't very comfortable in those seats, I'm afraid that type of transport has past me by as a daily! :(

Honestly it was as enjoyable as driving the NSX as a driving experience, then I got out of the car....... :D

That's praise indeed!

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 06:03
Nick GravesX wrote:

That's praise indeed!

You haven't driven one yet Nick?

I find it has that same "hewn from a single block" oneness feeling you get from the NSX MkI. It's not the same exact feeling of course, but it is the same "Honda have nailed it" feeling, just slightly different.

Even extends to people asking about it! Stopped to give it some fuel, and the cashier asked me for my thoughts, and the guy I dealt with at the panel shop was the same, he had read a lot about it and asked me what I thought. :)

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 11:27
sadlerau wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

That's praise indeed!

You haven't driven one yet Nick?

I find it has that same "hewn from a single block" oneness feeling you get from the NSX MkI. It's not the same exact feeling of course, but it is the same "Honda have nailed it" feeling, just slightly different.

Even extends to people asking about it! Stopped to give it some fuel, and the cashier asked me for my thoughts, and the guy I dealt with at the panel shop was the same, he had read a lot about it and asked me what I thought. :)

I'll probably get round to it one day, like I have with all the others.

But I seem to be turning into a Leg End man, these days...

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 14:47
fishchan wrote:
JeffX wrote:

yeah, I don't think they literally meant they wanted to hear VTEC. I think it's just slang for Hondas, probably somewhat derogatory for the guys who drive around with the too-loud exhausts.

Also, yeah - the way Honda uses VTEC on this engine is not at all like how they use it on high performance NA engines.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 19:30
Nick GravesX wrote:
But I seem to be turning into a Leg End man, these days...

I'm with you there man. :) I do regret getting rid of my Legend, but truth be known, I was worried about it's long term durability. How are you finding yours travelling?? Mine were issues with the CD player dying, and electric window gremlins? Mechanically it was proving sound, but the lack of power in such a capable chassis was getting more and more annoying so I passed it onto my partner at the time.

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0