[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
More.......................
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
TSX --> Re: TSX Sportwagon - rear washer not squirting
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2018 CR-V price experience
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: MDX update schedule?
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2019 Honda CRV on Honda Canada Website
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My TLX so far
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: 2018 Odyssey droning noise
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Valve adjustment needed?
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Author
  Post New Thread
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2018 07:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

This weekend, Circuit of the Americas (COTA) in Austin, Texas hosts Formula 1 as the series makes its sole United States appearance. COTA has become a driverís favorite as its design borrows elements from the worldís best circuits and puts them together in the Austin countryside. COTA is also one of four circuits on the F1 calendar that are run counterclockwise.

Toro Rosso go into the weekend with optimism despite a lackluster finish in Japan as their new Honda engine is showing solid performance with more optimization still to come. The team is scheduled to debut long-awaited aero updates which include a new front wing and floor. If the earo updates work and the team gets the strategy right, we could see both cars in the points, otherwise one should be the expectation.

Elsewhere on the grid, if Ferrariís outright poor luck continues, there is a chance Lewis Hamilton could clinch the WDC title this weekend. More likely, we will see Ferrari re-group and return to the front row of the grid. Red Bull will attempt to split the front runners for the final spot on the podium but that will also take some luck considering their Renault engine. Making up the best of the rest should be a Haas as they look to impress at their home race. Fighting with Haas will be a Force India and one of the Saubers, namely Leclerc. Renault will be trying to usurp one of the previously mentioned cars but will struggle due to their lack of development in the second half of the season. McLaren will be running toward the back of the midfield without any extra luck. Williams will round out the order.

For more, including TV times, stats, and video, click over to TOV-M!
https://motorsports.vtec.net/blog/223/f1-2018united-states-grand-prix/

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2018 07:31
Hamilton needs a good Bottas performance to seal the championship. I think there's a good chance of it happening. I hope the STR cars can extract the best from the upgrades and bag a good amount of points. Can't wait for this one!
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2018 09:05
I'm looking forward to it, too, although not for HAM to become WDC again, at least not with 3 races left in the season. I'd like to see Ferrari bounce back and keep the fight going even if they don't ultimately win. I'd also like to see Haas have a really strong home race.

The only thing I don't like about the USGP is that it happens in the middle of the day. It's nice to watch races in the morning and have the rest of the day open.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2018 09:23
I agree, I'll likely DVR the race and watch it in the evening when I'm back home. I like waking up, having my coffee and watching the overseas races. I think STR is bringing a sizeable aero update. I hope it works as expected. I'll have my Haas polo on at work Friday.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2018 09:36
...and I also want to see another Shoey before the season ends (unlikely this weekend though). It might be the last for a long time.
sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2018 10:08
Be nice to see an actual 'race' for a change. If Vettel can manage to keep out of trouble and get on the front row with Hamilton then we may just get one. Red Bull won't be far behind and maybe able to unsettle them if given a sniff.
I imagine the Force India's and Haas being the best of the rest with maybe just maybe STR in the mix if the new aero update works and Honda manage to fine tune the new spec 3 to eradicate the oscillation issues.
The midfield would make for a great championship if the top 3 teams didn't exist !!

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2018 10:33
sennaFAN wrote:
Be nice to see an actual 'race' for a change. If Vettel can manage to keep out of trouble and get on the front row with Hamilton then we may just get one. Red Bull won't be far behind and maybe able to unsettle them if given a sniff.
I imagine the Force India's and Haas being the best of the rest with maybe just maybe STR in the mix if the new aero update works and Honda manage to fine tune the new spec 3 to eradicate the oscillation issues.
The midfield would make for a great championship if the top 3 teams didn't exist !!

Funny you should mention that...
https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/f1-how-table-would-look-without-the-top-3-teams-ss

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2018 11:00
lol - thank you for the link. Seems I am not alone in my thoughts !!
revvin
Profile for revvin
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2018 11:01
You mean formula 1.5
sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2018 11:26
haha yes
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2018 11:27
Let's hope those anticipated aero/chassis upgrades work really well and the Spec 3 PU is further optimized for qualifying and the race. If everything works as expected then it would be great news to see STR leading the midfield battle and collect a whole swag of points! :-)

Furthermore, after all that's happened to Hartley's fortunes this season, I would like to see him outperform Gasly in qualifying (again, with the likelihood of rain forecasted for Saturday at Austin) and/or the race. Yes, even if that puts a spanner in the works regarding their imminent decision as to whether Hartley is booted out and replaced by another driver from the start of next season - as I suspect (part of the reason he was hired from driving in WEC) he has contributed substantially with his 'insightful' feedback and input in the development of the entire STR car package (PU and aero/chassis) and hopefully it will finally be justifiably acknowledged, particularly, if Red Bull management decides not to retain him.

Let's see what happens at Austin and by the completion of the current F1 season.

Go Toro Rosso-Honda! Go aero/chassis upgrades! Go Spec 3! GO FASTER!

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2018 14:12
Vxtec wrote:

:-) That just about covers it ! Come on STR, let's have a decent race !

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-18-2018 01:42
bigblue wrote:
Vxtec wrote:

:-) That just about covers it ! Come on STR, let's have a decent race !

Yeah bigblue! Come on STR! Woohooooooooo(s) Ö (anticipated)! :-)

tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-18-2018 08:27
Just seen the weather forecast for Austin and it doesnít look great !!
Helps with a mixed up race if itís not too heavy but not so good for analysing chassis and PU updates for STR
Either way please let STR have a clean weekend and a load of points!

revvin
Profile for revvin
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-18-2018 15:00
I look forward to str staying on the options for far too long and ruining their race.
tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-18-2018 15:14
Lol brilliant!!
bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 08:08
Only one new aero upgrade package available, so no new toys for Hartley :-(

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/only-gasly-has-toro-rosso-upgrade-to-trial-in-us/3197394/

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 10:06
bigblue wrote:
Only one new aero upgrade package available, so no new toys for Hartley :-(

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/only-gasly-has-toro-rosso-upgrade-to-trial-in-us/3197394/

Bloody hell. They've had enough time since the last upgrade, they should have 10 packages available!

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 10:06
Maybe not a bad thing. This way they should be able to see the exact differences to check whether the aero has actually made a difference
Not long now until the start of FP1 !!

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 11:53
Wet practice so far.
bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 12:26
New engines to fix some issues seen with the last spec (not the oscillations, presumably some reliability concerns) : https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-penalties-changes-usgp-grid/3197963/
tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 12:46
Hopefully drier for FP2 although wet running maybe more relevant if the forecast for a wet race on Sunday comes to fruition
LH looked very quick

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 15:00
bigblue wrote:
New engines to fix some issues seen with the last spec (not the oscillations, presumably some reliability concerns) : https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-penalties-changes-usgp-grid/3197963/

Honda using the last four F1 races as a test bed for new ideas - a smart move and superb strategy if they are to advance as much as possible in the development of the new PU for 2019! I am completely comfortable with this news! :-)

Go Toro Rosso-Honda! Go new aero/chassis upgrades (even if it's only for one car)! Go 'tweaked' Spec 3 PU! GO FASTER!

Yeah, let them roar and rumble!!!

tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 16:38
FP2 done. Gasley 2nd !! Hardly a real picture given he was on new intermediates but nice to see him up there. Engine sounded sweet on the upchanges too. A fair bit quicker than Hartley so maybe the aero is good or on different programs
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 17:00
tom3690 wrote:
FP2 done. Gasley 2nd !! Hardly a real picture given he was on new intermediates but nice to see him up there. Engine sounded sweet on the upchanges too. A fair bit quicker than Hartley so maybe the aero is good or on different programs

YES, Gasly (with upgraded aero/chassis and tweaked Spec 3 PU) was 2nd and Hartley (without upgraded aero/chassis and also without tweaked Spec 3 PU - the tweaked version will be installed for him from FP3 onwards) was 6th. You beaut!

Yeah, yeah, yeah it was wet and some drivers were saving full wets/intermediate tyres - nevertheless, only the brave will prosper and conquer!!! Both Gasly and Hartley surely did that today! ;-)

Looking forward to FP3 and Qualifying tomorrow.

Go Toro Rosso-Honda! Go aero/chassis upgrade (for one car)! Go 'tweaked' Spec 3 PU (for both cars)! GO FASTER!

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 22:50
Looks like it's Alexander Albon in for STR next year, according to a poster on f1 Technical.net Albon has been released from his Nissan e.dams contract (which was only signed last month) so he can join Torro Rosso.

Sad to see Hartley go, but F1 is a ghastly mistress, just ask Ricciardo, who is no longer mentioned in top driver discussions due to a long run of mechanical issues that have nothing to do with his driving skill! Must be devastating for Hartley especially as he feels he wasn't supported properly by the team.....

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-20-2018 00:58
sadlerau wrote:
Looks like it's Alexander Albon in for STR next year, according to a poster on f1 Technical.net Albon has been released from his Nissan e.dams contract (which was only signed last month) so he can join Torro Rosso.

Sad to see Hartley go, but F1 is a ghastly mistress, just ask Ricciardo, who is no longer mentioned in top driver discussions due to a long run of mechanical issues that have nothing to do with his driving skill! Must be devastating for Hartley especially as he feels he wasn't supported properly by the team.....

Don't count your chickens just yet sadlerau regarding... Hartley will be totally not in the STR team, especially with his progress in competitiveness and 'car development skills'!

Hartley has a long term contract with STR. They may try out Albon however, there is also the question as to who will be reserve driver for STR in 2019 (just in case something unforeseen happens)?

Food for thought(s)Ö

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-21-2018 07:03
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toro-rosso-front-wing-gasly-us-gp/3199441/

Both drivers at TR H will race the same package.

tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-21-2018 15:12
Urrrggghhhh depressing pace. Iím guessing tyre blistering again. But a pretty lame race for STR thus far
Profile for 400K
Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-21-2018 15:15
tom3690 wrote:
Urrrggghhhh depressing pace. Iím guessing tyre blistering again. But a pretty lame race for STR thus far

I suspect problem with GAS since HAR it seems way faster.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0