[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
More.......................
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX Sportwagon - rear washer not squirting
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2018 CR-V price experience
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: MDX update schedule?
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2019 Honda CRV on Honda Canada Website
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My TLX so far
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: 2018 Odyssey droning noise
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Valve adjustment needed?
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > CR-V > > Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 [4]
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 17:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Gfn8r wrote:
Honda has always cut any heat output to the cabin until warmup is underway on auto-climate models (except in fully-manual overrride or in Defrost), of which I believe the CR-V is so-equipped across the range. Per every Honda O/M Iíve seen, on all automatic/CVT-equipped cars, upshifts are delayed in order to run the engine at higher RPMs to facilitate a faster warmup.

I wonder if someone simply messed-up the programming somewhere, and it wasnít caught during testing?

Certainly does cause a little consternation, since these damned turbo motors are just adding needless complexity for any real-world gain.

But I repeat myself...!

Unless Honda has drastically changed their rigorous testing processes (or have been misrepresenting the thoroughness of their R&D testing in the past), I don't think this could have been something that simply "slipped through the cracks" during testing. I would be very concerned if it was in fact something that failed to be caught during their typical testing routines.

Now, I suppose it's possible that a last minute calibration change (EPA) or engineering change went through that was assumed to have been "safe" after some cursory testing, but that's still uncharacteristic of how we know Honda to operate.

Or it could simply be a bad batch of parts. It's difficult to really know. It seems like the fix should be relatively easy if the problem is related to the engine running too cold and too rich, but at this point we'll have to wait and see.

Regarding your final comment, for the most part I agree that many past turbocharged engines have largely failed to deliver on their promises of combining fuel economy with performance (with many of them in fact falling well short on both counts). But the L15B series is legit. This engine is simply incredible in the way it delivers fantastic fuel economy with "on demand" performance. Hopefully the oil contamination thing is a minor glitch in the programming because this is a superb mainstream engine.

Even the K20C1 in my Civic Type R is pretty impressive. It's no fuel sipper (compared to the L15B) but it makes 50% more power than the K20Z3 did in my Civic Si and about 100% more torque, yet I am able to consistently achieve better overall fuel economy (city and highway) than I ever could manage in the Si.

Last edited by JeffX on 11-07-2018 17:53
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 00:02
JeffX wrote:
Gfn8r wrote:
Honda has always cut any heat output to the cabin until warmup is underway on auto-climate models (except in fully-manual overrride or in Defrost), of which I believe the CR-V is so-equipped across the range. Per every Honda O/M Iíve seen, on all automatic/CVT-equipped cars, upshifts are delayed in order to run the engine at higher RPMs to facilitate a faster warmup.

I wonder if someone simply messed-up the programming somewhere, and it wasnít caught during testing?

Certainly does cause a little consternation, since these damned turbo motors are just adding needless complexity for any real-world gain.

But I repeat myself...!

Unless Honda has drastically changed their rigorous testing processes (or have been misrepresenting the thoroughness of their R&D testing in the past), I don't think this could have been something that simply "slipped through the cracks" during testing. I would be very concerned if it was in fact something that failed to be caught during their typical testing routines.

Now, I suppose it's possible that a last minute calibration change (EPA) or engineering change went through that was assumed to have been "safe" after some cursory testing, but that's still uncharacteristic of how we know Honda to operate.

Or it could simply be a bad batch of parts. It's difficult to really know. It seems like the fix should be relatively easy if the problem is related to the engine running too cold and too rich, but at this point we'll have to wait and see.

Regarding your final comment, for the most part I agree that many past turbocharged engines have largely failed to deliver on their promises of combining fuel economy with performance (with many of them in fact falling well short on both counts). But the L15B series is legit. This engine is simply incredible in the way it delivers fantastic fuel economy with "on demand" performance. Hopefully the oil contamination thing is a minor glitch in the programming because this is a superb mainstream engine.

Even the K20C1 in my Civic Type R is pretty impressive. It's no fuel sipper (compared to the L15B) but it makes 50% more power than the K20Z3 did in my Civic Si and about 100% more torque, yet I am able to consistently achieve better overall fuel economy (city and highway) than I ever could manage in the Si.

My '06 Si steadfastly maintains about 28 m.p.g. As you mentioned, it is great that your K20C1 has improved economy with all that power. I will soldier on with my Si.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 10:21
Yeah, unless Honda actually overlooked something (which is possible but unlikely since their documentation process should be way mature at this point), this is either due to some scenario that they haven't encountered before, or it's because of some balance they are trying to strike which caused this miss. Or something is defective. The fact that a similar engine is used in a similar configuration in the civic but doesn't appear to exhibit the same issues is interesting. What else is specific to the CR-V?

What doesn't surprise me is that if it was a miss, that it would be a PCV related issue. I think most engineers still think of it as a black magic and most people ignore it until it becomes a problem. That's also how you got DI valve junk buildup issues.

PoweredbyHondaX
Profile for PoweredbyHondaX
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 22:41
some people are saying after driving everyday in summer 45min both ways they still have this issue. crv.

im worried to buy crv now. my 15crv lease is up in 1 year and im thinking all new santa fe 2.0t instead? anyone know anything about the hyundai engine?

PoweredbyHondaX
Profile for PoweredbyHondaX
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 09:44
CarPhreakD wrote:
Yeah, unless Honda actually overlooked something (which is possible but unlikely since their documentation process should be way mature at this point), this is either due to some scenario that they haven't encountered before, or it's because of some balance they are trying to strike which caused this miss. Or something is defective. The fact that a similar engine is used in a similar configuration in the civic but doesn't appear to exhibit the same issues is interesting. What else is specific to the CR-V?

What doesn't surprise me is that if it was a miss, that it would be a PCV related issue. I think most engineers still think of it as a black magic and most people ignore it until it becomes a problem. That's also how you got DI valve junk buildup issues.

some civic owners are reporting this as well.

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 09:51
PoweredbyHondaX wrote:
some people are saying after driving everyday in summer 45min both ways they still have this issue. crv.

im worried to buy crv now. my 15crv lease is up in 1 year and im thinking all new santa fe 2.0t instead? anyone know anything about the hyundai engine?

Wait for the hybrid? 2.0 Atkinson engine, no turbo. Plenty of torque and perfect fuel economy?

Fester
Profile for Fester
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 10:21
My wife's CRV actually warms up faster than my 1.5T Civic. Usually at or near 1/2 way point on the gauge in 1 1/2 to 2 miles unless brutally cold. I did notice the smell of gas when she would only drive the car several miles a day (Hot/or Cold) but the oil level didn't rise. Now that she drives 20 miles each way I didn't smell gas in the oil like I did previously and this was before the oil was changed.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 12:06
PoweredbyHondaX wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:

some civic owners are reporting this as well.

Sure. "Some". I think if you are skeptical, you should just do the safe thing and buy the Santa Fe. No point worrying yourself if you're paranoid enough for anecdotal reports to cause second thoughts.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 12:12
Although now that I think about it, Hyundai did suffer from oil sludging just a few years back, just because they didn't design their PCV system to have sufficient drainback under engine loads. Hopefully they fixed that, I think they redesigned their valve covers after that fiasco.

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2018 16:12
JeffX wrote:
Gfn8r wrote:

But I repeat myself...!

The L15T is a nice motoróI had an Accord Sport CVT for a couple days this past summer when I had my 2013 at the dealer for a detail. The extra torque gives it a nice feel down low, and has more than enough cajones to beat, much less keep up with, traffic! Better all-around than the K24/CVT combo I tested two days after the 9th-Gens went on sale. (Isnít there VTEC on the Accord L15T, unlike the CR-V and Civic? Have there been these sorts of leak-down issues with Accords? I donít recall seeing anything on here or any other Accord boards.) I also took a CR-V out for a spin in the spring, and found similar improvements: the new motor has nice power in the lower part of the tachometer, unlike the previous-generation CR-V with CVT, in which the engine and the transmission just didnít seem to get along wellóthat combo was more sluggish in traffic versus the pre-MMC powertrain, resulting in the need to give the car a bit more throttle than normal to move out smartly if needed, and until one would adjust to it, youíd end up with the ďrubber-bandĒ effect. The five-speed T/C automatic was a better match!

I talked with one of the salesmen at my dealer last weekend when I happened by after voting early, and he said I could probably take an Accord 2.0T out overnight when they do my oil change and fall detail next month, so I look forward to that, since I will be trading up to a 2019 Touring next spring or summer, and I want to see how that powertrain is (as I posted a link to Hondaís presser on the 2019 Accords in that forumóas was speculated, a Touring, in Hybrid or 2.0T guise, is the only way to get factory NAVI, though EX-Ls are still available with all three engines). From what you folks on the board seem to say, itís got the ability to briefly overwhelm the traction-control almost at will, will stick with the V6 in a drag race up through illegal speeds even in Texas before it runs out of breath (with the V6 the ultimate winner, but the K20T still acquitting itself well), and while not as turbine-smooth as the J35, itís still refined enough, and maybe even a little better in that regard than the same-sized engines in the entry-level luxo makes. (As Iíve said, if itís as smooth as even the first VTEC four in the 5th-Gen Accord EXs, much less the F22 in the 4th-Gens, it will be a less bitter pill to swallow; as it was, the L15T in that Accord I drove in June had no vibration whatsoever transmitted into any part of the cabin while at idle and in gear, A/C or no, and to me, thatís half the battle, as long as the engine doesnít go all agricultural and R18 on you when you cane it!) I think Iíve even read someplace, here or elsewhere, that if my worst fears are realized and the turbocharger would need replacement, parts and labor would actually come in a couple-hundred dollars below the cost of a J35 timing belt/water pump replacement, provided the rest of the engine is still OK. Hopefully the oil-life computer is calibrated properly for the increased demand, and the resulting change intervals will result in a long-lived engine; Blackstone Labs has told me that the OLIs in the Hondas have shown to be pretty accurate, and hopefully that will continue with the turbos. (Obviously, itís critical to NOT let that lapse with these engines!)

As for this leak-down problem, it just seemed like Honda was regressing back into denial, just like what happened when the V6 transmission issues first came to light, is all. My dealerís service manager will go to the mat for his customers all day, any day, and the dealer principal will always back him up in doing so, but some dealers donít work that way, and Iíd hate to see this problem hurt Honda such that people are still talking about it fifteen years from now!

JonH
Profile for JonH
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2018 19:16
I have friends with a 2017 CRV that they really like. Good power, great mileage, comfortable.

When issues first appeared in China I alerted him to watch his oil level. When issues with US cars appeared I talked to him again. He is located north of Toronto, and lives in a rural area. It is at least a 20 minute highway drive - minimum - to anywhere, and it is just starting to get down to freezing at night , but still nice during the day. The car is always garaged. No problems with heat production or oil dilution last winter.

A couple of weeks ago, with 17,000km on the car and 1,700 after the last oil change, he noticed that the oil level was 5/8" high. He reported this to his dealer and was put on the list for THE FIX.

THE FIX happened today.
On the invoice it states:
C: Product Update
C: Engine Oil Dilution
C: Replace Engine Oil and Climate Control Unit. Update PGM-FI & TCM Software

This took about 1.5 hours.
When he asked the tech if this would solve the problem, he said he got a weak smile.
Doesn't sound like Honda is too sure of the fix.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2018 11:32
If he measured his oil level after a 20 minute drive (and not in the middle or right before), then yeah, that sounds like a candidate for the repair. What baffles me right now are the people who have apparently been driving for a long time but their cars are not warming up- that to me speaks to a different issue that can lead to excessive oil contamination.

I've also been thinking more about the fact that some people are getting misfire codes, and what I surmise is that the engine is ingesting so much fuel/water vapor through the PCV system when the oil finally does warm up (i.e. it's actually expelling all its contaminants as designed), that it's causing issues. I'm actually hoping that the apparent reports of stalling is caused by the misfiring and not because there is excessive crank windage.

Anyways, there's no way that a technician can tell a customer that it's a true "fix", considering it's a reprogramming done by engineers on the other side of the world and is meant to address an issue that is inconsistent and largely comes from driving habits. And that's putting aside the fact that some technicians don't actually understand how the PCV system works in relation to vehicle cold starts. He can't know if it works, until you come back to yell at him.

As I have mentioned- oil contamination on engine startup due to condensation (similar to you breathing on cold glass) and fuel enrichment cycle is something that every engine experiences. Statistically, the number of people who get the 'rising fuel level effect' is usually limited to a small percentage of the population- but it does happen. Honda clearly did something that pushed that statistical bubble to a greater percentage of the population, so all this "fix" does is push it hopefully back out of range for most consumers. If you are a natural granny driver though, you are always going to be at higher risk of this happening to you than everyone else.

Thread Page - 1 2 3 [4]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0