[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
More.......................
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
TSX --> Re: TSX Sportwagon - rear washer not squirting
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2018 CR-V price experience
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: MDX update schedule?
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2019 Honda CRV on Honda Canada Website
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My TLX so far
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: 2018 Odyssey droning noise
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Valve adjustment needed?
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Fuel Cell Technology > > Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 14:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Car is at 21K miles now.

On the way to work, the car threw a "low coolant" warning, so my wife drove straight to the dealer. (*)

Dealer replaced/filled up the coolant.

$300 bucks.

Hmmm...

(*) Nowadays, Scott Robinson in Torrance has in site techs that can work on the FCEV for four days of the week, it used to be ONLY Thursday.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 15:27
Why did it have low coolant? $300 seems a tad excessive for that also.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 16:12
DCR wrote:
Why did it have low coolant? $300 seems a tad excessive for that also.

The Fuel Cell requires coolant and it's lost over time. Normally the maintenance requires between one and two quarts and a filter every 10K miles.

The fluid comes in one quart bottles and once opened has a 24 hour lifespan if not put into the Fuel Cell powertrain.

Each bottle costs about $125 or more. $300 is actually a reasonable price. So far as I know, this is the ONLY maintenance the car needs.

Given that it has pushed over 21K miles and the services run about 10K mile intervals I'm not surprised that it came up. What is interesting is that it came up with no forewarning, the first time around it gave us a warning of a couple of weeks or so.

But then, I have not been driving the car for a while, so...

loulinjai
Profile for loulinjai
Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 16:39
holy moly that's some expensive coolant.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 16:53
loulinjai wrote:

It is in absolute terms. BUT, when you think about it, it's pretty much the only thing you have to do maintenance wise. $300 bucks every 10K miles.

And it's not like there's a huge volume of production. I figure there's not much profit on that for the manufacturer. FCEVs are not what you'd call a "profit center" right now.

eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 17:04
TonyEX wrote:
loulinjai wrote:

It is in absolute terms. BUT, when you think about it, it's pretty much the only thing you have to do maintenance wise. $300 bucks every 10K miles.

And it's not like there's a huge volume of production. I figure there's not much profit on that for the manufacturer. FCEVs are not what you'd call a "profit center" right now.

IIRC there were touting that maintenance costs were similar to that of an Accord....$300/10k miles is quite a pretty penny!

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 17:56
eneka wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
loulinjai wrote:

IIRC there were touting that maintenance costs were similar to that of an Accord....$300/10k miles is quite a pretty penny!

I'm guessing those figures are probably the realistic "target" maintenance costs for if/when the cars go fully mainstream and start building and selling them at true scale. The current Clarity FCs are somewhere between "beta" and mass production. I'm sure if/when we reach the stage where hundreds of thousands of these are being sold every year, the costs of this particular fluid will decrease dramatically, unless of course it's made of some extremely rare substance.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 18:15
JeffX wrote:
eneka wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
loulinjai wrote:

I'm guessing those figures are probably the realistic "target" maintenance costs for if/when the cars go fully mainstream and start building and selling them at true scale. The current Clarity FCs are somewhere between "beta" and mass production. I'm sure if/when we reach the stage where hundreds of thousands of these are being sold every year, the costs of this particular fluid will decrease dramatically, unless of course it's made of some extremely rare substance.

Sight!

Every so called Auto Aficionado should own an Alfa Romeo or a Classic German car sometime in their lives to understand the true cost of maintenance.

$300 per 10K miles is nothing.

Think about it... the insurance is about $1000 a year, lease payments are $395 a month, the tires will likely last 70K miles, wipers will last three years, we got a tax free $5K rebate (after the 2500 down payment) and THE FUEL IS FREE.

Assume five maintenance services for the Mojo Fluid and Batman Filter.

OK, the $1500 windshield took $1000 from our deductible.... (My wife has done in two windshields in about a year... the Ridgeline too.... construction on the 405!!).

When it comes to it, the Clarity FCEV is one of the cheapest cars to run: About $16220 (450 per month, $0.27 per mile) for 60K miles over three years, a little more if you account for the windshield.

And you get a free pass to the car pool lanes!

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0