[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
More.......................
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> INDYCAR: Look Back at St. Pete and Forward to COTA
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver's new site.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Desmond Regamaster Installed!
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Re: K-Tuner For Sale!!!
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > 2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery > > Re: Why?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Why? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2018 09:41
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Why isn't this NSX selling? It's a very capable car in every way??? It's not too expensive for what it is and what it offers???

What is the problem. Even Porsche customers who talk about it can't understand why it isn't selling.........

VTEC_Inside
Profile for VTEC_Inside
Re: Why? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2018 14:45
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Why isn't this NSX selling? It's a very capable car in every way??? It's not too expensive for what it is and what it offers???

What is the problem. Even Porsche customers who talk about it can't understand why it isn't selling.........

I'm passing this along twice removed (and paraphrasing) from someone that owns an NA2, but was lent a NC1 from a dealer for a weekend.

"Very nice, very fast, but not an NSX."

I've met with a bunch of NA1/NA2 owners that could easily move up(sideways/backwards?). They all enjoy the drive, and the new one isn't raw enough.

IMO, to go after that crowd they should have either ditched the hybrid altogether, or left it on the rear only. I don't think a manual transmission would have been a deal breaker.

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: Why? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2018 02:10
Spot on for all the points below. The 2019 changes aren't quite enough.

VTEC_Inside wrote:

I'm passing this along twice removed (and paraphrasing) from someone that owns an NA2, but was lent a NC1 from a dealer for a weekend.

"Very nice, very fast, but not an NSX."

I've met with a bunch of NA1/NA2 owners that could easily move up(sideways/backwards?). They all enjoy the drive, and the new one isn't raw enough.

IMO, to go after that crowd they should have either ditched the hybrid altogether, or left it on the rear only. I don't think a manual transmission would have been a deal breaker.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Why? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2018 15:34
I think itís the perception of the word hybrid.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Why? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2018 11:49
Civicb18 wrote:
I think itís the perception of the word hybrid.

Possibly..... But 911 Turbos will be partly electrified in 2020 so is said..... but it most likely won't be a hybrid.

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: Why? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2018 23:48
I don't think it is perception. I think it is a combination of many things that puts off some current owners.

600 lbs too heavy. It may not feel like 3900 lbs but it is a far cry from the nimbleness of the 3050 lbs gen 1 coupe.

Benign driving experience around town. The American development team had a Zanardi for benchmarking. What part of the steering feel and suspension crispness did they benchmark?

Engine Lacks character. If you think fast equals character, go buy a high end mustang, Challenger, or Corvette. Engine moans at low speeds instead of sings.

Interior fitting for a $50k car. Dash reminds me of s2000 display with no texture beyond a ring. Nice seats, other than that, interior is an Acura Honda part Bin. Not something you do for a 159k car.

Not nearly as Good looking and timeless as the original.

Too much power. Yes, I said that. Ever wonder why the Mista and the first gen was so fun to drive. You can ring it out and not risk endangerment to self and others.

Small budget and short development timeline (after they went longitudal engine) resulting in design and execution that was only good but not great.

Made in USA. It is not news that Honda's built in Japan has higher quality. It is not politically correct but it is reality. Ask the QC team.

Partially Designed and Engineered in USA. I want my Corvettes designed in USA. My Porsches from Germany and LFA from Japan. Honda finally caught on and has brought back development of NSX back to Japan. Team in America has disbanded and Michelle went to work for Chinese car company. Where did loyalty go?

Program sponsor (CEO) that lacked Soichiro's passion, soul, and attention to detail to make this a standout from competitors in many measures.

Not the same level of budget as the original NSX after adjusted for inflation. They blew their budget on the factory but sold the heart of the car to Cosworth. That would be the block and heads. Using carryover RLX hybrid gear also because of budget limits. Soichiro's NSX was to build a car with minimal regard for cost. He wanted the best product, period.

Marketing team that has no idea how to sell a car at this price point for a name plate that has largely gone ignored.

Leaders that charter a program to build a science project car to show off their technology and boast its performance to show themselves they have arrived. But it was quite disconnected with what Honda Acura buyers wanted that sales are 20% of projections.

They changed the formula of the NSX. One can argue that the name New Sports Car Experimental has no other formula other than the a sports car that embodies the technology of the times. For that, I agree. However, the formula of the original was low weight over outright horsepower, technology, and a drivers car where feel, engagement,and driving pleasure is prioritize. New NSX hit on some of these points such as technology but deviated its direction by accepting excess weight just do so it can be green. 911 is one of those examples where it kept the same timeless formula, albeit they have 23 flavors of 911.

Lastly, one of the joys of ownership is that you can work on the car youself. Honda took a playbook from Ferrari and now requires you to drop the engine to do some maintenance and remove body panels for certain basic repairs. I did the valve adjustments on the original NSX myself. All regular maintenance can be done readily without removing fenders and bumpers let alone dropping the engine. They traded in 1 oil drain plug for 7 when they went dry sump. And with new NSX, owners get to remove under body panels to drain engine oil like my full fairing CBR. Sure you can take it in to dealer to get work done...but be ready to pay Porsche service prices on your Japanese sports car. Honda benchmarked a lot of mid engine car for the NSX. They lowered their serviceability requirements by rationalizing that if Ferrari needs to drop engine for maintenance work, it is somehow ok for Honda to lower their serviceability requirement. Did you know you had to remove the bumper to replace the air filter on 991 911s. To replace the thermostat on NSX, you also have to remove the bumper. This is what we get when Honda went longitudal engine.

Why is the NSX not selling? Because most buyers who step into a Honda Acura dealership want a modern version of the old one. Much like a 911 from 30 years ago is very similar to the 911 of today. I can't say that about the new NSX for they have changed the formula on an iconic car. Hence 1st gen NSXs have shot up in price dramatically with the introduction of the new one. Many are selling above what they cost brand new. That alone says it all

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0