[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota: Hydrogen Fuel cell vehicles will eventually be cheaper than gasoline-powered cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2007 TL-S vs 2018 TLX V6-AWD
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My talk with Honda's Motorsports Boss
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Cars for a mid life crisis
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: I have an RDX service loaner
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Non-Type S ?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> 2020 Toyota Supra auctions for $ 2.1 Million
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Incomplete recall
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord back in the family
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: ICE to FCEV "engine" swap
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda's new marking word - "Spay-flu"
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 09:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So the RWD rumors were true. Should help it dominate the Law Enforcement business as Ford did with the Crown Vic.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/2020-ford-explorer-debuts-less-weight-new-rwd-platform/

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 10:22

nice colors

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 10:25
I think they pretty much made it known that the new Explorer would share a platform with the new Lincoln Aviator which is also RWD.

Looks OK overall to me though. Definitely better looking than the current Pilot...which isn't a hard thing to pull off.

JonBoy
Profile for JonBoy
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 10:25
It looks really good, to my eye, at least on the outside.

What were they thinking with that huge vertical screen on the inside, though? It looks like someone threw it at the center console and that's how it stuck. It looks absolutely ridiculous.

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 10:34
With the continued prominence of smart phones and their interconnectability with cars, it wouldn't surprise me to see more automakers adopt these "portrait formatted" screens. Mirroring the phone's screen?
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 10:49
The higher model Rams have large screens in portrait mode, too.
Jovian8
Profile for Jovian8
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 2, Funny) 01-10-2019 11:24
Now that they have a new RWD platform... shame about the timing with the disappearance of sedans.

JonBoy
Profile for JonBoy
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 12:09
rev2damoon wrote:
With the continued prominence of smart phones and their interconnectability with cars, it wouldn't surprise me to see more automakers adopt these "portrait formatted" screens. Mirroring the phone's screen?

I understand the layout and the reason for the orientation. However, most makers don't have it jutting up from the center console. They integrate (most of) it so that it blends in. The Miata has a more prominent screen, as do some Mercedes, but nowhere near as tall/obvious as this.

This one looks like someone jammed it down into the center console and inch or two and then called it good. It has no flow, no blending, no real integration. It's silly.

See similar ones for reference on how to integrate a vertical screen properly.

2019 Dodge Ram

2019 Volvo XC90

Now contrast that with the new Ford Explorer.

See how ridiculous it looks, in comparison?

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 12:20
JonBoy wrote:
rev2damoon wrote:

I understand the layout and the reason for the orientation. However, most makers don't have it jutting up from the center console. They integrate (most of) it so that it blends in. The Miata has a more prominent screen, as do some Mercedes, but nowhere near as tall/obvious as this.

This one looks like someone jammed it down into the center console and inch or two and then called it good. It has no flow, no blending, no real integration. It's silly.

See similar ones for reference on how to integrate a vertical screen properly.

2019 Dodge Ram

2019 Volvo XC90

Now contrast that with the new Ford Explorer.

See how ridiculous it looks, in comparison?

I don't really have an opinion on it either way to be honest, but it doesn't bother me as much. My comment was addressing the increasingly popular portrait screen layout, not design which I have grown to accept are simply subjective.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 12:32
rev2damoon wrote:

Not really mirroring the phone's screen as much as allowing a "dual" screen setup without an Acura-esque actual double screen layout. There's only so much width available, unless you opt for one of the newer German luxury cars where the instrument cluster is essentially combined with the central infotainment cluster. Personally I have a hard time deciding which one I like better (vertical vs. horizontal eye movements).

The Ford Exploder's implementation is aesthetically pretty disgusting, but it does mean that the screen as a whole is moved upwards for easier visibility while keeping a low dashboard.

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 12:43
CarPhreakD wrote:
rev2damoon wrote:

Not really mirroring the phone's screen as much as allowing a "dual" screen setup without an Acura-esque actual double screen layout. There's only so much width available, unless you opt for one of the newer German luxury cars where the instrument cluster is essentially combined with the central infotainment cluster. Personally I have a hard time deciding which one I like better (vertical vs. horizontal eye movements).

The Ford Exploder's implementation is aesthetically pretty disgusting, but it does mean that the screen as a whole is moved upwards for easier visibility while keeping a low dashboard.

That's an interesting point. Form follows function? I would be interested in hearing the designer/engineer's reasonings behind the layout implemented here.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 12:43
The current version is a massive rolling turd with respect to reliability. Doubt this version will be any better.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 12:46
RMTRADER wrote:
The current version is a massive rolling turd with respect to reliability. Doubt this version will be any better.

Would you say that's a good reason to lease?

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 12:57
NealX wrote:
RMTRADER wrote:

Well played.

THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 14:51
NealX wrote:
RMTRADER wrote:

LOL +1!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 14:56
NealX wrote:
RMTRADER wrote:

I see what you did right there.

Bravo!

;-)

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 16:46
NealX wrote:

nice colors

I've always liked the look for the Explorer in this iteration...very Range Rover -esqu, and even the inside looks nice and basic with not too many buttons, etc. That said, the screen does look tacked on and quite out of place in these pictures. Maybe in person it will look better.

As an aside, I rode in a Tesla Model S for the first time last night and that screen is friggin huge. It was almost too distracting for me. That's the way the car world is going, however.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 16:59
I guess I'm in the minority? I'm not a fan of the front grille area, can't pinpoint why, I think it's the headlights, maybe a bit of Subaru in there. I think they missed an opportunity to enhance the dash-axle ratio with the RWD architecture. And on the inside that touch screen looks silly.
according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 18:11
gofast182 wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority? I'm not a fan of the front grille area, can't pinpoint why, I think it's the headlights, maybe a bit of Subaru in there. I think they missed an opportunity to enhance the dash-axle ratio with the RWD architecture. And on the inside that touch screen looks silly.

I guess we both are. The side doesn't look too different, the rear is a wash I suppose...no better or worse than the current one, but the front is dorky and cheap looking.

MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 19:19
gofast182 wrote:

They are saving the sexier side profile for Aviator. The Lincoln does have a much dash to axle ratio.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: 2019 Ford Explorer..............Yes RWD    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 20:56
gofast182 wrote:

Was thinking the same thing on dash to axle but I think compared to last overall side profile is more balance and less frumpy up front, but otherwise it looks very FWD if nobody pointed out it was RWD would have guess otherwise based on looks. Not too sure on Ford engines but I know there are different variations of the EcoBoost, this is likley using the transverse mounted one, more of a carryover.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0