[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota: Hydrogen Fuel cell vehicles will eventually be cheaper than gasoline-powered cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2007 TL-S vs 2018 TLX V6-AWD
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My talk with Honda's Motorsports Boss
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Cars for a mid life crisis
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: I have an RDX service loaner
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Non-Type S ?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> 2020 Toyota Supra auctions for $ 2.1 Million
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Incomplete recall
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord back in the family
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: ICE to FCEV "engine" swap
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda's new marking word - "Spay-flu"
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Acura ZDX - Far too ahead of its time?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Acura ZDX - Far too ahead of its time?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2019 19:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
LaszloPanaflex wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
cforez wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

On the ZDX, wasnít that designed by an up-and-coming woman designer who was going to make her name with this car? I wonder where she is today. She quit Acura when the reviews came out.

She ended up back at Acura and designed the current NSX. Though itís hard to sell a $175k Honda, itís a smash hit looks wise imho... :)

She did not really design the current NSX, she was in charge of the final direction/execution after the engine was re positioned but she was not the original NSX designer. She did a very good job, I think the final NSX looks better then the concepts but the basic NSX design was not her design.

Correct concept was designed by Toshinobu Minami, but I agree Michelle did a great job cleaning it up. I also agree with your comments on what would have separated the ZDX, but remember the 3.7 was the biggest engine they had and was at a time when they were touting the 305HP TL as the most powerful ever Acura, while others were touching 320 to 330 HP from NA 6 cylinders SMH. Also, the 6AT had just came on line and wasnt tested on any performance vehicles.
I also remember rumors that the ZDX was part of the tier 1 effort, was initially going to be called MSX and would have recieved a V8 version, the only reason why it was not stillborn like the FE NSX was because the dyes were already cast, almost the exact qoute.

I heard the same thing. It's crazy that the ZDX was almost cancelled along with everything else from Tier-1, if it weren't for the tooling ready to go. Kinda makes me wonder about what would have been if the RWD RL was ready to go before the ZDX, and the possible impact it could have had on the brand. It couldn't have been any worse than "Smart Luxury"...

I hope one day we will get to see the concept art that went into the design of the abandoned V10 FR NSX and the V8 RWD RL. All that's floating around is an alleged cutaway sketch of the V10 NSX, and I'm not even sure if that's legit or not.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2008/06/11/acura-rl-future/

These are pretty much the only images of the RWD Legend/RL prototype rolling around with some body cladding. Sad thing is that camo prototype looks better and has nicer proportions then pretty much every Acura sedan. Sad they made such a foolish decision and over reacted killing their Tier 1 efforts for good, that move shows they never really wanted to do it and just found a good excuse to kill them.

The 4th Gen TL probably would have been a great looking sedan on a RWD platform.

Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: Acura ZDX - Far too ahead of its time?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2019 20:22
Acura has just been bits and bobs.
Like a project here and another disjointed one there.

Probably administration and bean counters poking everything too. With some RnD ideas.
Oh let's put a business case for a ZDX, cause BMW is making a huge margin.
Or let's do an 8 speed DCT cause all sports things require one.
So now how many transmissions do they have across the range??
Others use way less and rather focus on a global product family.

What I don't understand though is how Honda HQ is blamed so often. They drove the key global small and compact platforms, since yonks.

At least the RDX gives hope. That they will get more cohesive products.

123456speed
Profile for 123456speed
Re: Acura ZDX - Far too ahead of its time?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2019 20:27
I liked the ZDX and test drove a few of them. 16mpg was too low for my needs. Acura finally took a risk and most enthusiasts will never let them forget it. The quality and interior have never been seen since in an Acura. Meanwhile the BMW and MB versions are still sold every year.
THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: Acura ZDX - Far too ahead of its time?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2019 20:48
123456speed wrote:
Acura finally took a risk and most enthusiasts will never let them forget it.

Enthusiasts don't let them forget it because they take stupid risks on crappy cars that market rejects for good reason. They just don't know what they're doing. See RLX/ZDX/ILX...

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Acura ZDX - Far too ahead of its time?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2019 21:18
Car platform-proportions would have helped.

123456speed
Profile for 123456speed
Re: Acura ZDX - Far too ahead of its time?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 20:48
Yes, the only Acuras I've owned were 2 Legend coupes and the CL-S 6MT. After my 95 Legend it took Acura 8 years for the next 6cyl MT coupe...the 2003 CLS which I still drive. Every coupe I've had was dropped including my Prelude before that.

I'll never buy an Acura SUV or sedan, may be why the ZDX got my interest. it was coupe-like hacked from the MDX. I don't foresee any more Acuras in my future. My CLS has been great for 15 years.

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0