[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
More.......................
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
More.......................
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
More.......................
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
More.......................
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
More.......................
American Honda reports January sales
More.......................
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> INDYCAR: Look Back at St. Pete and Forward to COTA
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver's new site.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Desmond Regamaster Installed!
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Re: K-Tuner For Sale!!!
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RDX > > Re: I have an RDX service loaner

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
NSXman
Profile for NSXman
I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 19:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I have a 2019 RDX for a service loaner while I have my MDX worked on.

Funny to me, the car mags say the 14 MDX is faster (even if marginally so) in every measurable category than the 2019 RDX. But by the seat of the pants the RDX feels much, much faster. I know the turbo vs NA might account for some of that "feel", but otherwise, what gives on that?

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 19:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
NSXman wrote:
I have a 2019 RDX for a service loaner while I have my MDX worked on.

Funny to me, the car mags say the 14 MDX is faster (even if marginally so) in every measurable category than the 2019 RDX. But by the seat of the pants the RDX feels much, much faster. I know the turbo vs NA might account for some of that "feel", but otherwise, what gives on that?



I'm assuming it's FWD? If so, that's probably why. I don't think anybody's formally tested a FWD 2019 RDX yet. I've been told by Acura engineers that it's a blast (and most of them told me it was their 'favorite') to drive. I've only ever driven the SH-AWD versions. (Side note: I've never had the chance to drive a FWD MDX because they don't put them in the press fleets.)

I remember when they finally released the 1st gen RDX in FWD config. It felt SIGNIFICANTLY quicker than any of the SH-AWD versions I had driven.



Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 20:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
This seems be a common issue for Acura to much drivetrain loss with SHAWD, same issue with TL was faster in FWD spec. I suspect its a gearing issue to protect the rear differential but if you are going to claim SHAWD as performance it must show, other companies who offer AWD usually dont take a hit on performance, look at the beast M5. Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 20:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Mikeydred wrote:
Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?

Can't imagine a bit of extra front weight bias would have much effect, if you're using AWD for traction? Blame it on trying to protect the rear diff, which in Honda's case is understandable, they don't have your American propensity for focusing on drag race numbers, they would be more focused on circuit track times, where the lower weight of a "lightweight" rear diff would be more important.

Will be interesting to see how they resolve it going forward, with the high torque numbers the new TTV6 will have?

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 21:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sadlerau wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?

Can't imagine a bit of extra front weight bias would have much effect, if you're using AWD for traction? Blame it on trying to protect the rear diff, which in Honda's case is understandable, they don't have your American propensity for focusing on drag race numbers, they would be more focused on circuit track times, where the lower weight of a "lightweight" rear diff would be more important.

Will be interesting to see how they resolve it going forward, with the high torque numbers the new TTV6 will have?


Im hoping for a rear bias system in the future similar to quattro. Hopefully software programing could allow it to happen. Will not fix the moving parts issues but I am sure they will beef those up for the added power and torque of the V6 turbo.

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 21:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
NSXman wrote:
I have a 2019 RDX for a service loaner while I have my MDX worked on.

Funny to me, the car mags say the 14 MDX is faster (even if marginally so) in every measurable category than the 2019 RDX. But by the seat of the pants the RDX feels much, much faster. I know the turbo vs NA might account for some of that "feel", but otherwise, what gives on that?





I'm assuming it's FWD? If so, that's probably why. I don't think anybody's formally tested a FWD 2019 RDX yet. I've been told by Acura engineers that it's a blast (and most of them told me it was their 'favorite') to drive. I've only ever driven the SH-AWD versions. (Side note: I've never had the chance to drive a FWD MDX because they don't put them in the press fleets.)

I remember when they finally released the 1st gen RDX in FWD config. It felt SIGNIFICANTLY quicker than any of the SH-AWD versions I had driven.





Yep, the loaner is FWD and my MDX is SHAWD. I suppose thatís it.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 21:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Mikeydred wrote:
Im hoping for a rear bias system in the future similar to quattro. Hopefully software programing could allow it to happen. Will not fix the moving parts issues but I am sure they will beef those up for the added power and torque of the V6 turbo.


Are we after a hole-shot champion, or a great handling sports sedan? Yes it will be nice to be able to put down heaps of torque and win stop light drags, but do we expect Honda to give us that??

For me, much as I like winning, give me a car that's light on it's feet, like the RLegendo was. Keep in mind my experience was with the Euro/Japanese iteration of the 2006 Legend, but I found that with just changing the tyre pressures it transformed the handling characteristics that car gave. Back when I was choosing my next vehicle in 2012, I tried the A5 with the torque vectoring AWD, and for me, it didn't handle as well as my Legend with a simple tweak of tyre pressures. No it wasn't my imagination, at the time I was spending a lot of time on race tracks honing my perception skills.

As for the standard Quattro's handling [as in my A6], clunky at best. Sure it gives that RWD tail out attitude, and allows you to put down all 580Nm of torque really well, but that's traction, not handling.

I'm sure IF Honda set their mind to it, they can build an awe-inspiring Sports Sedan, I give you exhibit A, the CTR as evidence............ Just wish they would!!

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 23:39
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Mikeydred wrote:
This seems be a common issue for Acura to much drivetrain loss with SHAWD, same issue with TL was faster in FWD spec. I suspect its a gearing issue to protect the rear differential but if you are going to claim SHAWD as performance it must show, other companies who offer AWD usually dont take a hit on performance, look at the beast M5. Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?



Not likely a driveline drag issue.

I am pretty sure it is that they limit the torque in the lower gears to protect the durability of the drivetrain, i.e. in 1st through say 3rd gear, you aren't really getting full rated power because the ECU is not giving you 100%. That limitation doesn't apply on FWD because it will just easily melt the front tires off and the excess torque isn't going to destroy expensive components.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 00:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
owequitit wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
This seems be a common issue for Acura to much drivetrain loss with SHAWD, same issue with TL was faster in FWD spec. I suspect its a gearing issue to protect the rear differential but if you are going to claim SHAWD as performance it must show, other companies who offer AWD usually dont take a hit on performance, look at the beast M5. Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?



Not likely a driveline drag issue.

I am pretty sure it is that they limit the torque in the lower gears to protect the durability of the drivetrain, i.e. in 1st through say 3rd gear, you aren't really getting full rated power because the ECU is not giving you 100%. That limitation doesn't apply on FWD because it will just easily melt the front tires off and the excess torque isn't going to destroy expensive components.



I think it is just in first because second gear rips. Evidenced by my trouncing of an X3 this evening on a roll.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 12:55
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sadlerau wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Im hoping for a rear bias system in the future similar to quattro. Hopefully software programing could allow it to happen. Will not fix the moving parts issues but I am sure they will beef those up for the added power and torque of the V6 turbo.


Are we after a hole-shot champion, or a great handling sports sedan? Yes it will be nice to be able to put down heaps of torque and win stop light drags, but do we expect Honda to give us that??

For me, much as I like winning, give me a car that's light on it's feet, like the RLegendo was. Keep in mind my experience was with the Euro/Japanese iteration of the 2006 Legend, but I found that with just changing the tyre pressures it transformed the handling characteristics that car gave. Back when I was choosing my next vehicle in 2012, I tried the A5 with the torque vectoring AWD, and for me, it didn't handle as well as my Legend with a simple tweak of tyre pressures. No it wasn't my imagination, at the time I was spending a lot of time on race tracks honing my perception skills.

As for the standard Quattro's handling [as in my A6], clunky at best. Sure it gives that RWD tail out attitude, and allows you to put down all 580Nm of torque really well, but that's traction, not handling.

I'm sure IF Honda set their mind to it, they can build an awe-inspiring Sports Sedan, I give you exhibit A, the CTR as evidence............ Just wish they would!!


I have sampled enough of SHAWD daily driver is 09 TL and wifes is 17 MDX, its nice to have that extra punch off the line especially when trying to get ahead of traffic. Over the years I have been able to defy the laws of the 5 AT in my car by really getting down on the medal, but I certainly feel like I have certainly lost a few ponies or maybe its just cars are getting faster. I am not an agressive driver by any means, but when you have Corolla's trying to cut you off on a merging lane I want my vechicle to be able to respond, they dont call us Massholes for no reason. When I drove the S5 sportback there was no hesistation whatsoever, thats what I want from Acura.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 19:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Mikeydred wrote:
.... but when you have Corolla's trying to cut you off on a merging lane I want my vechicle to be able to respond, they dont call us Massholes for no reason. When I drove the S5 sportback there was no hesistation whatsoever, thats what I want from Acura.


Get the Ridgeline BE.

That wimpy Corolla will get out of your way.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 19:39
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
owequitit wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
This seems be a common issue for Acura to much drivetrain loss with SHAWD, same issue with TL was faster in FWD spec. I suspect its a gearing issue to protect the rear differential but if you are going to claim SHAWD as performance it must show, other companies who offer AWD usually dont take a hit on performance, look at the beast M5. Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?



Not likely a driveline drag issue.

I am pretty sure it is that they limit the torque in the lower gears to protect the durability of the drivetrain, i.e. in 1st through say 3rd gear, you aren't really getting full rated power because the ECU is not giving you 100%. That limitation doesn't apply on FWD because it will just easily melt the front tires off and the excess torque isn't going to destroy expensive components.



I can believe that.

In our '16 TLX V6 SH-AWD, even when I put it on Sport II (manual) mode, turning OFF the traction nannies and using the paddles, there was NO way I could lose traction off the line. Given that the car has enough power to melt those tires, the only explanation is that the computer manages traction ALL the time.

OTOH, it was a very easy car to drive up off the line. The proverbial step on it until you figure you should not go so fast...

The same with our RDX AWDs (non SH-AWD) and our Ridgeline. For all intents and purposes, traction control is undefeatable.

Which, it sort of makes sense. After all, the reason for getting an AWD is for TRACTION.

I suppose I ought to try the traction modes in the Ridgeline. Will "gravel" allow wheel spin?


Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 02:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The K20C4 is quite powerful. I have seen people doing 13.1@109mph in the accord 10at with other ,downpipe, and intake.
RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 03:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I just drove my wife's SH-AWD RDX this evening and tried a couple of off the line hard launches. The issue with this drvetrain is that there is about half a second of nothing and then what feels like full boost. And then it legitimately flies. Too bad it doesn't have launch control.
wanga
Profile for wanga
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 19:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
NSXman wrote:
I have a 2019 RDX for a service loaner while I have my MDX worked on.

Funny to me, the car mags say the 14 MDX is faster (even if marginally so) in every measurable category than the 2019 RDX. But by the seat of the pants the RDX feels much, much faster. I know the turbo vs NA might account for some of that "feel", but otherwise, what gives on that?



we have a 2019 rdx A spec and 2018 MDX techno,both of then 4wd , we race them ,the RDX is way faster than the MDX, we switch drivers ,same result.RDX smoke the MDX



Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-13-2019 21:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Mikeydred wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?

Can't imagine a bit of extra front weight bias would have much effect, if you're using AWD for traction? Blame it on trying to protect the rear diff, which in Honda's case is understandable, they don't have your American propensity for focusing on drag race numbers, they would be more focused on circuit track times, where the lower weight of a "lightweight" rear diff would be more important.

Will be interesting to see how they resolve it going forward, with the high torque numbers the new TTV6 will have?


Im hoping for a rear bias system in the future similar to quattro. Hopefully software programing could allow it to happen. Will not fix the moving parts issues but I am sure they will beef those up for the added power and torque of the V6 turbo.



The newest version in the RDX is already more rear biased when pressed. The system in my TL is rear biased also when I need to corner aggressively but the newest system is even more rear biased per Acura.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-13-2019 23:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Civicb18 wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?

Can't imagine a bit of extra front weight bias would have much effect, if you're using AWD for traction? Blame it on trying to protect the rear diff, which in Honda's case is understandable, they don't have your American propensity for focusing on drag race numbers, they would be more focused on circuit track times, where the lower weight of a "lightweight" rear diff would be more important.

Will be interesting to see how they resolve it going forward, with the high torque numbers the new TTV6 will have?


Im hoping for a rear bias system in the future similar to quattro. Hopefully software programing could allow it to happen. Will not fix the moving parts issues but I am sure they will beef those up for the added power and torque of the V6 turbo.



The newest version in the RDX is already more rear biased when pressed. The system in my TL is rear biased also when I need to corner aggressively but the newest system is even more rear biased per Acura.



The reference to Quattro is funny because all 'Quattro' systems are not the same. Some are bloody Haldex.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-14-2019 22:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RMTRADER wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?

Can't imagine a bit of extra front weight bias would have much effect, if you're using AWD for traction? Blame it on trying to protect the rear diff, which in Honda's case is understandable, they don't have your American propensity for focusing on drag race numbers, they would be more focused on circuit track times, where the lower weight of a "lightweight" rear diff would be more important.

Will be interesting to see how they resolve it going forward, with the high torque numbers the new TTV6 will have?


Im hoping for a rear bias system in the future similar to quattro. Hopefully software programing could allow it to happen. Will not fix the moving parts issues but I am sure they will beef those up for the added power and torque of the V6 turbo.



The newest version in the RDX is already more rear biased when pressed. The system in my TL is rear biased also when I need to corner aggressively but the newest system is even more rear biased per Acura.



The reference to Quattro is funny because all 'Quattro' systems are not the same. Some are bloody Haldex.



The Haldex systems are in the lower end products that are on the VW based MQB platform, so the Q3, A3, TT all use the Haldex system. The MLB Audiís use Quattro, the Sport diff is optional on all S Audiís with the RSí getting it standard.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 14:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
owequitit wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
This seems be a common issue for Acura to much drivetrain loss with SHAWD, same issue with TL was faster in FWD spec. I suspect its a gearing issue to protect the rear differential but if you are going to claim SHAWD as performance it must show, other companies who offer AWD usually dont take a hit on performance, look at the beast M5. Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?



Not likely a driveline drag issue.

I am pretty sure it is that they limit the torque in the lower gears to protect the durability of the drivetrain, i.e. in 1st through say 3rd gear, you aren't really getting full rated power because the ECU is not giving you 100%. That limitation doesn't apply on FWD because it will just easily melt the front tires off and the excess torque isn't going to destroy expensive components.



I can believe that.

In our '16 TLX V6 SH-AWD, even when I put it on Sport II (manual) mode, turning OFF the traction nannies and using the paddles, there was NO way I could lose traction off the line. Given that the car has enough power to melt those tires, the only explanation is that the computer manages traction ALL the time.

OTOH, it was a very easy car to drive up off the line. The proverbial step on it until you figure you should not go so fast...

The same with our RDX AWDs (non SH-AWD) and our Ridgeline. For all intents and purposes, traction control is undefeatable.

Which, it sort of makes sense. After all, the reason for getting an AWD is for TRACTION.

I suppose I ought to try the traction modes in the Ridgeline. Will "gravel" allow wheel spin?





Back when you could get a 6MT TL SH-AWD, you could see that torque management was a major issue, as sidestepping the clutch in 1st would result in a SMOKY FWD burnout. Nothing seemingly going to the rear axle, so thus no sub 5-second 0-60 like most would expect.

WillMax
Profile for WillMax
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-19-2019 10:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
NSXman wrote:
I have a 2019 RDX for a service loaner while I have my MDX worked on.

Funny to me, the car mags say the 14 MDX is faster (even if marginally so) in every measurable category than the 2019 RDX. But by the seat of the pants the RDX feels much, much faster. I know the turbo vs NA might account for some of that "feel", but otherwise, what gives on that?



I'm assuming it's FWD? If so, that's probably why. I don't think anybody's formally tested a FWD 2019 RDX yet. I've been told by Acura engineers that it's a blast (and most of them told me it was their 'favorite') to drive. I've only ever driven the SH-AWD versions. (Side note: I've never had the chance to drive a FWD MDX because they don't put them in the press fleets.)

I remember when they finally released the 1st gen RDX in FWD config. It felt SIGNIFICANTLY quicker than any of the SH-AWD versions I had driven.





I drove a 2019 RDX FWD for a few months. In a straight line with plenty of traction, it feels "less bogged down" than the SH-AWD model, but I think there's some psychology in play. The FWD model has a small amount of torque steer and lots of wheel spin, so there's more drama involved - sort of like how a loud exhaust can make a vehicle seem more powerful.

However, in turns or even if the road is wet, the FWD RDX just spins one wheel and cuts power like it's driving through a giant puddle of molasses whereas the SH-AWD version just pulls and pushes itself right along with no penalty.

Of course, most owners will never exceed the limits of FWD traction in normal driving and will probably never slide their RDX's around in dirt or gravel. Most owners who will actually benefit from SH-AWD are those in snowy climates - for most others, SH-AWD is just another feature they'll probably never actually need use.

I, however, regularly drive "with spirt". Due to pricing and availability, I settled on a FWD RDX and regretted it from the moment the 600-mile break-in interval was complete.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2019 18:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Civicb18 wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?

Can't imagine a bit of extra front weight bias would have much effect, if you're using AWD for traction? Blame it on trying to protect the rear diff, which in Honda's case is understandable, they don't have your American propensity for focusing on drag race numbers, they would be more focused on circuit track times, where the lower weight of a "lightweight" rear diff would be more important.

Will be interesting to see how they resolve it going forward, with the high torque numbers the new TTV6 will have?


Im hoping for a rear bias system in the future similar to quattro. Hopefully software programing could allow it to happen. Will not fix the moving parts issues but I am sure they will beef those up for the added power and torque of the V6 turbo.



The newest version in the RDX is already more rear biased when pressed. The system in my TL is rear biased also when I need to corner aggressively but the newest system is even more rear biased per Acura.


Its the same 70% of torque to the rear with 100% available side to side. The 70% is still only felt on agressive acceleration, but just like the MDX requires less throttle input. I am talking full time 40/60 or just more agressive off the line. Also over 60 mph SHAWD basically becomes FWD and you can feel it. I actually prefer the older SHAWD system versus the new ones as they used k
more expensive moving parts, especially the RL and force you to drive hard to exploit.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2019 18:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Mikeydred wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?

Can't imagine a bit of extra front weight bias would have much effect, if you're using AWD for traction? Blame it on trying to protect the rear diff, which in Honda's case is understandable, they don't have your American propensity for focusing on drag race numbers, they would be more focused on circuit track times, where the lower weight of a "lightweight" rear diff would be more important.

Will be interesting to see how they resolve it going forward, with the high torque numbers the new TTV6 will have?


Im hoping for a rear bias system in the future similar to quattro. Hopefully software programing could allow it to happen. Will not fix the moving parts issues but I am sure they will beef those up for the added power and torque of the V6 turbo.



The newest version in the RDX is already more rear biased when pressed. The system in my TL is rear biased also when I need to corner aggressively but the newest system is even more rear biased per Acura.


Its the same 70% of torque to the rear with 100% available side to side. The 70% is still only felt on agressive acceleration, but just like the MDX requires less throttle input. I am talking full time 40/60 or just more agressive off the line. Also over 60 mph SHAWD basically becomes FWD and you can feel it. I actually prefer the older SHAWD system versus the new ones as they used k
more expensive moving parts, especially the RL and force you to drive hard to exploit.



There is an AWD graph that shows how the AWD is working. Your comment about FWD over 60 Mph is bullshit if you are cornering.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2019 18:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RMTRADER wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?

Can't imagine a bit of extra front weight bias would have much effect, if you're using AWD for traction? Blame it on trying to protect the rear diff, which in Honda's case is understandable, they don't have your American propensity for focusing on drag race numbers, they would be more focused on circuit track times, where the lower weight of a "lightweight" rear diff would be more important.

Will be interesting to see how they resolve it going forward, with the high torque numbers the new TTV6 will have?


Im hoping for a rear bias system in the future similar to quattro. Hopefully software programing could allow it to happen. Will not fix the moving parts issues but I am sure they will beef those up for the added power and torque of the V6 turbo.



The newest version in the RDX is already more rear biased when pressed. The system in my TL is rear biased also when I need to corner aggressively but the newest system is even more rear biased per Acura.



The reference to Quattro is funny because all 'Quattro' systems are not the same. Some are bloody Haldex.


I am referring to the torque vectoring ones like in the S etc. Can't be mad at Audi becauae they have a market name that stands and they can fool customers in thinking they are all the same. I recall the Audi associate telling me they didnt need any gimmick monitors to show their AWD was working when I asked how come they didnt have an option to show as part of the virtual cockpit. He said ours is always working not just on slip, didnt bother arguing that SHAWD was just on slip, oh well!

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: I have an RDX service loaner    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2019 18:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RMTRADER wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Is it because of the laws of physics with FWD to much mass up front to overcome?

Can't imagine a bit of extra front weight bias would have much effect, if you're using AWD for traction? Blame it on trying to protect the rear diff, which in Honda's case is understandable, they don't have your American propensity for focusing on drag race numbers, they would be more focused on circuit track times, where the lower weight of a "lightweight" rear diff would be more important.

Will be interesting to see how they resolve it going forward, with the high torque numbers the new TTV6 will have?


Im hoping for a rear bias system in the future similar to quattro. Hopefully software programing could allow it to happen. Will not fix the moving parts issues but I am sure they will beef those up for the added power and torque of the V6 turbo.



The newest version in the RDX is already more rear biased when pressed. The system in my TL is rear biased also when I need to corner aggressively but the newest system is even more rear biased per Acura.


Its the same 70% of torque to the rear with 100% available side to side. The 70% is still only felt on agressive acceleration, but just like the MDX requires less throttle input. I am talking full time 40/60 or just more agressive off the line. Also over 60 mph SHAWD basically becomes FWD and you can feel it. I actually prefer the older SHAWD system versus the new ones as they used k
more expensive moving parts, especially the RL and force you to drive hard to exploit.



There is an AWD graph that shows how the AWD is working. Your comment about FWD over 60 Mph is bullshit if you are cornering.


Straightline my friend on the highway, (had to retype because post timed out on my phone and I missed that second time). I am not cornering on the freeway, again we own 2 SHAWD products, know how it works, no need to get fired up. The most you get over 60 mph is one bar, if you punch it maybe two bars. Same concept with the sport hybrid, after 80 MPH or so the e motors kick out and it becomes FWD or RWD in the NSX.


 
Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0