[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
General Talk --> Re: 2007 TL-S vs 2018 TLX V6-AWD
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My talk with Honda's Motorsports Boss
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota: Hydrogen Fuel cell vehicles will eventually be cheaper than gasoline-powered cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Cars for a mid life crisis
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: I have an RDX service loaner
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Non-Type S ?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> 2020 Toyota Supra auctions for $ 2.1 Million
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Incomplete recall
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord back in the family
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: ICE to FCEV "engine" swap
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda's new marking word - "Spay-flu"
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Repair and Maintenance > > Re: Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
CR-V 123
Profile for CR-V 123
Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-06-2019 13:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hey guys, I have got an oil leak coming from the passenger side of the engine, and with the little knowledge I have especially on Hondas I am hoping someone can help me out here. The leak primarily drips off of the support bracket that is on the left-most side of the oil pan; right where that bracket meets the oil pan.

I have checked the oil filter for signs of damage, and believe there is only one gasket on the filter because the filter didn't leak at all when I was trying to diagnose this myself, for about 1.5 hours. During that time a oil puddle formed below my jack stand to the size of a pancake, roughly 6 inches wide.

I will if necessary degrease with some paper towels and a bottle of simple green or whatever I have handy but am hoping someone can enlighten me before I spend time on that.  Any help would be great, Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GaIGIBPQbriPqVqMplTu4w7pvAm6DI1h

BG
Profile for BG
Re: Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-06-2019 15:34
No harm in double checking that the oil filter is on tight. The oil does seem to be dripping from higher up so I'd rule out the oil pan, maybe check from above around the rocker cover. Crank pulley oil seal could be a culprit too.

Just to rule out other things was there any recent maintainence carried out, water pump change or anything??

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-06-2019 16:50
It's ten years now since we sold our CRV so I may not be of much help but my guess would be the main seal like BG mentioned. It's possible the pan gasket is leaking but I see a lot of oil in the photos.

The 2nd gen CRV oil filter is located above the frame rail and when changing the filters in ours I found the oil would drip down onto and into the rail through a hole punched in its top. It would then drip out of the frame rail though other holes onto my garage floor. I got in the habit of wrapping the frame rail with plastic cling wrap. But your photos show a lot more oil than I ever saw.

I found this:

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/15092-oil-leak-sensor-above-oil-filter.html

This would make sense. I do remember that sensor being located above the filter and that the Filtech filter wrench I used did clear it okay. An old-school filter wrench might have damaged the sensor at some point. Definitely check this sensor first.

CR-V 123
Profile for CR-V 123
Re: Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-06-2019 19:59
BG wrote:
No harm in double checking that the oil filter is on tight. The oil does seem to be dripping from higher up so I'd rule out the oil pan, maybe check from above around the rocker cover. Crank pulley oil seal could be a culprit too.

Just to rule out other things was there any recent maintainence carried out, water pump change or anything??

No there has not been any maintenance done since I have owned the vehicle for about 4 months. Will look into the rocker cover and crank seal as well this week or weekend, thank you for the info.

CR-V 123
Profile for CR-V 123
Re: Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-06-2019 20:07
Grace141 wrote:
It's ten years now since we sold our CRV so I may not be of much help but my guess would be the main seal like BG mentioned. It's possible the pan gasket is leaking but I see a lot of oil in the photos.

The 2nd gen CRV oil filter is located above the frame rail and when changing the filters in ours I found the oil would drip down onto and into the rail through a hole punched in its top. It would then drip out of the frame rail though other holes onto my garage floor. I got in the habit of wrapping the frame rail with plastic cling wrap. But your photos show a lot more oil than I ever saw.

I found this:

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/15092-oil-leak-sensor-above-oil-filter.html

This would make sense. I do remember that sensor being located above the filter and that the Filtech filter wrench I used did clear it okay. An old-school filter wrench might have damaged the sensor at some point. Definitely check this sensor first.

Very interesting, I have already taken apart the oil pan but haven't got it out of the prison these buggers are trapped in(why Honda why put it in there like that???)...I will go ahead and make a new seal for that as well as replace the sensor since I did see a drop of oil on the sensor, didn't think that much oil would come out of such a small place. Thank you for the new knowledge, that should be a piece of cake to replace.

CR-V 123
Profile for CR-V 123
Re: Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2019 09:19
Does anyone have the part number for that oil pressure unit? I keep trying to find it on parts stores but most of the units I find have a nipple on one end and I know that is not the correct one....
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2019 13:04
It looks like the oil pressure sensor is part #13 here:

https://www.collegehillshondaparts.com/v-2002-honda-cr-v-5-door--ex-4wd--4-speed-automatic/engine--cylinder-block-oil-pan

The Honda part number is 37240-PT0-014.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Honda-Engine-Oil-Pressure-Switch-37240-PT0-014/110966273060?fits=Year%3A2002%7CModel%3ACR-V%7CMake%3AHonda&hash=item19d61af424:g:XyEAAOxyNDxRYl8~:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

If the one you have doesn't include the electrical connector terminal you might check with your dealer's parts department since there are two suppliers shown in the parts diagram.

Any chance you're looking at the VTC valve timing pressure switch which is higher up on the engine?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Honda-VTEC-Valve-Timing-Oil-Pressure-Switch/170986882075?fits=Year%3A2002%7CModel%3ACR-V%7CMake%3AHonda&hash=item27cf9cc41b:g:lRMAAOxye5BRE95X:rk:6:pf:0

CR-V 123
Profile for CR-V 123
Re: Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2019 22:21
Grace141- Thank you for the part number, I guess I am not sure what I am looking at. Underneath the car looking where the filter is, there is an exposed threaded hole that I presume has some type of plug in it(I hope the leak isn't something as dumb as that haha). Right above that and a little bit towards the passenger side of the block is what I presume to be the oil pressure switch?

The part in question has a rubber boot on it, I never exposed what was under the boot I only just played with it to see if it was supposed to pull back or not which it seemed to be fine doing so. I will snap a picture when I get back to town Thursday night or Friday morning if need be.

I am going to presume that the part I need is the one with the nipple since everything is pointing to that!

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2019 06:09
After looking at your CRV pictures, I would suggest using a foaming cleaner (no water) to clean off the entire engine and surrounding area. With the amount of crud that is built up everywhere, it is a lot harder to identify where the leak is originating from.

CR-V 123
Profile for CR-V 123
Re: Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 15:42
Among other things, I have found the leak....I am stupid only because I was impatient and did not start from the simple idea of finding out if the oil pan had a hole in it. *facepalm* The sub frame seemed to have indented the oil pan and left a hairline crack enough for oil to drip though. What my assumption is that when the oil gets to operating temp. the oil flows more quickly through the crack, which would normally be a drip when it is cold.

Now that being said, the back struts are bad. I do have the struts and plan on replacing them soon rather than later but could that somehow cause a large bump to somehow dent the pan in from the sub frame?

CR-V 123
Profile for CR-V 123
Re: Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 22:12
OOPS. I thought I figured everything out, I got the pan bolted up, sub frame on, everything in place...started it up and after idling for 30 seconds checked to make sure everything was in order-nope, large puddle of oil on the ground.

After crawling underneath again the leak is coming out of the threads of the oil sending unit. I applied Permatex red(high temp), tried Teflon tape, I even bought a thick a** O-ring and tried that. Nothing works, it still leaks like a sieve. Any thoughts?

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 10:58
CR-V 123 wrote:
OOPS. I thought I figured everything out, I got the pan bolted up, sub frame on, everything in place...started it up and after idling for 30 seconds checked to make sure everything was in order-nope, large puddle of oil on the ground.

After crawling underneath again the leak is coming out of the threads of the oil sending unit. I applied Permatex red(high temp), tried Teflon tape, I even bought a thick a** O-ring and tried that. Nothing works, it still leaks like a sieve. Any thoughts?

Have you replaced the oil sending unit with a new one?

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Oil leaking.....Oil Pan Gasket? 2002 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-13-2019 11:19
If you believe the damage on the oil pan was caused by the crossmember, I'd recommend checking for a broken motor mount.

You're positive the oil is seeping past the oil pressure sender? I would have thought the Honda replacement sender would include a washer or O-ring if required. I wouldn't add a thicker washer or ring or use a thread locker on the sender. It still seems to be more oil than I would expect to seep past the threads of the sender. I'd still be looking for sources for the oil leaks.

Also, the pattern for oil leaks from the sender seems to be the plastic portion separating from the metal base. With oil seeping from the threads of the sender at the block the problem may be something else.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0