[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota: Hydrogen Fuel cell vehicles will eventually be cheaper than gasoline-powered cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2007 TL-S vs 2018 TLX V6-AWD
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My talk with Honda's Motorsports Boss
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Cars for a mid life crisis
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: I have an RDX service loaner
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Non-Type S ?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> 2020 Toyota Supra auctions for $ 2.1 Million
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Incomplete recall
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord back in the family
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: ICE to FCEV "engine" swap
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda's new marking word - "Spay-flu"
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Urban EV update

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 01:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Honda will debut a prototype Urban EV at Geneva with the production model at Frankfurt in September. On sale date in 2020. Project is delayed about six months.

Also Honda is still not 100 percent behind BEV(only doing them to meet GOV rules). They only plan on selling 5000 a year.

Honda is more behind FCEV and HEV.

ledebuhr1
Profile for ledebuhr1
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 12:21
What are Honda's concerns about BEV's?
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 12:34
Materials supply and cost for battery

Battery tech just not ready

Not cleaner than ICE in the big picture

Grid

MalcolmR
Profile for MalcolmR
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 16:26
RolledaNsx wrote:

Grid

Correct

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 17:17
MalcolmR wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

Grid

Correct

A Northern California judge today suggested the PG&E should shut off electrical power during high wind episodes, regardless of the consequences.

A coworker of mine, with SoCal Edison, told me that during the Christmas break they got a warning call from Edison that because of high winds their power might be shut off (It wasn't).

So, the fix is, don't provide power when your aging grid can't handle it.

Sounds like a 3rd world country.

And you want to sell BEVs that take gobs of KW's?

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 21:25
RolledaNsx wrote:
They only plan on selling 5000 a year.

The Urban EV better be super special.

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 01:48
I loved the Urban EV Concept so much that I bought the $200 Swiss scale model. Unfortunately the camouflaged 5-door production mule seen on the 'net predicts that the actual car will not be anywhere near as attractive as Yuki Terai's 3-door concept design (especially his gorgeous C-pillar).

After driving our Clarity Plug-In Hybrid for 10 months before visiting a gas station, it has proven to be the gateway drug leading to EVs. So despite the production-version's compromises, I want whatever they finally call the Urban EV very much.

It's very expensive to develop an EV platform (just ask VW), so I assume Honda's not going to make multiple, incompatible EV platforms. So I believe the company should sell a small number of these EVs in the US to give dealers some experience with the new platform before bringing the mass-market HR-V EV or whatever to North America--much like they did with the limited-production 1st gen Insight (which I still drive).

Charge a bunch to make it a new kind of exclusive halo car for Honda. I'd pay $40K for even a 100-mile range Urban EV if it came with the concept's cool full-dashboard-width LED display and fancy interior trimmings.

Pakos M
Profile for Pakos M
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 03:02
The Urban EV concept is the best design ever from Honda. They got that part right. This thing would sell with any drivetrain.

Nissan sells 5000 BEV per month in EU, i really dont get the 5000 per year goal.

Think Rwd 64kwh sub 30k. Who wouldnt want one?

Pakos M
Profile for Pakos M
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 03:09
The Urban EV concept is the best designed Honda ever. This thing will sell with any drivetrain. I really dont get the 5k units per month goal when the Leaf achieves that per month.

Think RWD 64kwh sub 30k. Who wouldn't want one?

Pakos M
Profile for Pakos M
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 03:11
The Urban EV concept is the best designed Honda ever. This thing will sell with any drivetrain. I really dont get the 5k units per month goal when the Leaf achieves that per month.

Think RWD 64kwh sub 30k. Who wouldn't want one?

Pakos M
Profile for Pakos M
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 03:26
Triple post to emphasise my point, sorry about that, i was getting a bad gateway msg.
Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 10:23
It can't be easy to go from 0 to 5,000 cars that are based on a new electric platform. Keeping the initial numbers small gives Honda a chance to figure out how to source the batteries, set up the factory space, and learn to build this entirely new platform.

I've read Honda's planning to position the Urban EV as a premium, technology-packed alternative to the Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoe. That makes sense because if Honda isn't going build more than 5,000 of these EVs annually, why not sell them at whatever high price (>$30K) the market will bear? If it looks anywhere near as good as the concept (now doubtful) it could be the EV everyone wishes they could afford if they had more disposable income.

In contrast, when Honda sold me my 1st gen Insights, they didn't pack them with premium content and sold them for a mere $22K, even though the all-aluminum car cost twice that much to manufacture. The artificially low price was what it took to get us beta testers to buy one.

This time, it appears Honda wants the beta testers to pay what it costs to make this new EV. I've got my wallet in my hand and my sleeping bag ready to hang out for days in line at the dealer--if only Honda can be convinced it makes sense (profit/PR value) to bring a car smaller than the slow-selling Fit to North America, the land of the SUV.

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 11:39
IMHO Honda is doing it right. The whole BEV thing with lithium batteries is utter bullshit, once you really compare costs vs benefits.

Keeping governments greenies satisfied, while offering dynamic design and concentrating on better technologies (HEV, FCEV) is the best thing they can do now.

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 16:55
After 13 months in our Clarity Plug-In Hybrid, I've been captivated by its smooth, torquey EV power--smoother than even a V-12. I don't need Tesla-level acceleration, but that smooth acceleration sells lots of Teslas.

Amazingly, with today's ridiculously low gas prices, it actually costs more to drive our Clarity PHEV on EV power than on ICE power! However I plug it in after every drive, eagerly anticipating my next EV-powered excursion.

I've owned more than 25 cars, many of them sports cars and this newfound embrace of EV power was a surprise to me. For me the visceral appeal of EV power easily outweighs the cost.

My appreciation for the clean design of the Honda Urban EV Concept along with its potential for being a small, good-handling EV-powered runabout has me trying to figure out how to convince Honda to sell me one, even though it certainly won't be as pretty as the concept.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Urban EV update    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-14-2019 11:56
KaizenDo wrote:
IMHO Honda is doing it right. The whole BEV thing with lithium batteries is utter bullshit, once you really compare costs vs benefits.

Keeping governments greenies satisfied, while offering dynamic design and concentrating on better technologies (HEV, FCEV) is the best thing they can do now.

You might be speaking too early. Honda does have a load of BEVs in development as well as a lot of research and development, and they have no choice because... China.

The cost/benefit ratio has significantly improved in only two vehicle generations. BEVs make sense for a lot of commuters (at least speaking for the US).

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0