[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
More.......................
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> INDYCAR: Look Back at St. Pete and Forward to COTA
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver's new site.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Desmond Regamaster Installed!
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Re: K-Tuner For Sale!!!
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Lord Skayro
Profile for Lord Skayro
Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 12:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hello everyone, I got a Civic 2006 LX sedan, I want to swap the engine but I don't know which engines fit in my car, plz don't tell me to buy another car, I know it'll be more expensive and it'll be not worth the money but this was my first car, and I wanna keep it, I just want an engine that doesn't give a lot of trouble, I mean a few days ago I saw a civic that needed to drop the engine just to replace the spark plugs. Even if you take 20 seconds to recommend me an engine you'll make my day, thanks a lot.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 18:08
Missing plenty of info here.

1. Is your current engine blown?

2. What is your budget?

JonBoy
Profile for JonBoy
Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 18:48
Lord Skayro wrote:
Hello everyone, I got a Civic 2006 LX sedan, I want to swap the engine but I don't know which engines fit in my car, plz don't tell me to buy another car, I know it'll be more expensive and it'll be not worth the money but this was my first car, and I wanna keep it, I just want an engine that doesn't give a lot of trouble, I mean a few days ago I saw a civic that needed to drop the engine just to replace the spark plugs. Even if you take 20 seconds to recommend me an engine you'll make my day, thanks a lot.

The R18 is a reliable engine, unless you had one of the engines with casting flaws.

It's not a "fun" engine but it is frugal and reliable. We have a 2008 with 186K miles and it's been bulletproof. I just changed the starter myself and my only other repairs have been the inside HVAC fan ($65) and the windshield washer fluid pump ($65). I did the spark plugs once. Other than that, just tires, brakes and wiper blades, on top of standard maintenance (oil/filter changes, did the valve timing once for $125).

Given our car is nearly 11 years old (April 2019), that's a remarkably low cost of ownership.

My best two-way trip fuel economy was 42.5 mpg (!), same day, same distance each way, mostly highway driving. Ours routinely gets 36+ mpg on the highway at sane speeds (70mph) with up to four people in it...

Lord Skayro
Profile for Lord Skayro
Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 10:15
Thank you for time.
No, my engine is alright but it has 250256 miles, I don't know how long it will last, I mean that was my first car and I still having it.
I don't really care about how much I will spend, but if I had a budget 10k should be fine or more if necessary, but anyways don't go all crazy with a lot of mods and a lot of fancy stuff 😉

JonBoy
Profile for JonBoy
Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 10:39
Well, the K20 from the Civic Si will definitely fit (with a manual transmission), as would the K24 from the Acura TSX or Honda Accord or 2012+ Civic Si. You wouldn't have to do much extra work (relatively speaking) to put those engines into a base Civic.

Those give you an easy 200 hp, great reliability, way more torque and a moderate drop in economy.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 14:46
Lord Skayro wrote:
Thank you for time.
No, my engine is alright but it has 250256 miles, I don't know how long it will last, I mean that was my first car and I still having it.
I don't really care about how much I will spend, but if I had a budget 10k should be fine or more if necessary, but anyways don't go all crazy with a lot of mods and a lot of fancy stuff 😉

So I have some news for you, that engine will fucking last. 250,000 miles on a properly maintained Honda, is, nothing.

Why replace it with a different engine, if its your first car, and you drive it that much, why not just replace it with the same engine when it goes bad. Also, why replace a good engine. Or why buy an engine and store it when you don't need it. By the time your engine goes bad, you're automatically going to want another car - why not have another beautiful Honda to enjoy when the time comes?

When my 2006 Si dies, I'll probably consider looking for a replacement engine. If I can't find one, I'll try to rebuild mine. If those two things don't pan out, I'm happy to let it go. Its given me so much joy.

My 2006 Honda Civic Si has 311,500 miles today. My last fuel economy was 29mpg on a drive from SF to LA.

The only problem I've had with this engine, since around 100,000 miles is that I burn 1qt of oil every 2000 miles or so, so to this day, I just have to keep an eye on that. Coincidentally, it hasn't gotten worse since then, and it happened right around the time when Honda changed their oil formula, so I'm blaming the oil.

The car is still on its orginal water pump, yep. At 270,000 miles I was stranded on the 5 freeway due to the alternator dying, it gave me warnings for about 20,000 miles before it died, I wanted to drive the alternator into the ground.

The other issue I had at around 300,000 miles was when my starter failed. It also gave me warnings at around 280,000 miles which I ignored and also drove into the ground. When the car wouldn't start, I just pushed it and started it with a clutch dump, and replaced the starter myself.

All Honda Genuine parts.

Anyhow, I have been told to replace that water pump since the car had 80,000 miles. I will do so only when it gives me a sign, no signs of that yet. No leaks, no overheating issues (even when driving the hills from SF to LA and back with the AC on at times in hot summers).

Lord Skayro
Profile for Lord Skayro
Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 23:03
garoto wrote:
Lord Skayro wrote:
Thank you for time.

So I have some news for you, that engine will fucking last. 250,000 miles on a properly maintained Honda, is, nothing.

Why replace it with a different engine, if its your first car, and you drive it that much, why not just replace it with the same engine when it goes bad. Also, why replace a good engine. Or why buy an engine and store it when you don't need it. By the time your engine goes bad, you're automatically going to want another car - why not have another beautiful Honda to enjoy when the time comes?

When my 2006 Si dies, I'll probably consider looking for a replacement engine. If I can't find one, I'll try to rebuild mine. If those two things don't pan out, I'm happy to let it go. Its given me so much joy.

My 2006 Honda Civic Si has 311,500 miles today. My last fuel economy was 29mpg on a drive from SF to LA.

The only problem I've had with this engine, since around 100,000 miles is that I burn 1qt of oil every 2000 miles or so, so to this day, I just have to keep an eye on that. Coincidentally, it hasn't gotten worse since then, and it happened right around the time when Honda changed their oil formula, so I'm blaming the oil.

The car is still on its orginal water pump, yep. At 270,000 miles I was stranded on the 5 freeway due to the alternator dying, it gave me warnings for about 20,000 miles before it died, I wanted to drive the alternator into the ground.

The other issue I had at around 300,000 miles was when my starter failed. It also gave me warnings at around 280,000 miles which I ignored and also drove into the ground. When the car wouldn't start, I just pushed it and started it with a clutch dump, and replaced the starter myself.

All Honda Genuine parts.

Anyhow, I have been told to replace that water pump since the car had 80,000 miles. I will do so only when it gives me a sign, no signs of that yet. No leaks, no overheating issues (even when driving the hills from SF to LA and back with the AC on at times in hot summers).

This car WAS my first car ever, I already have other cars but I wanted to modify my civic and keep it just because I had a lot of experiences with this car

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-13-2019 00:07
garoto wrote:

^^ This. Just spend the money on changing all the wear and tear items, (engine mount, seals, gasket, injectors, sparkplus, pumps, drive couplings etc. etc.) and maybe swap out to some the better aftermarket stuff.

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-13-2019 00:35
JonBoy wrote:
Well, the K20 from the Civic Si will definitely fit (with a manual transmission), as would the K24 from the Acura TSX or Honda Accord or 2012+ Civic Si. You wouldn't have to do much extra work (relatively speaking) to put those engines into a base Civic.

Those give you an easy 200 hp, great reliability, way more torque and a moderate drop in economy.

Or ^this if you have the time.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-15-2019 09:32
If your current R18 engine blows, I'm pretty sure you can find a replacement swap in for less than 500 bucks.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-15-2019 14:59
CarPhreakD wrote:
If your current R18 engine blows, I'm pretty sure you can find a replacement swap in for less than 500 bucks.

I have heard a lot of people say that the R18 blows.
:)

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 12:30
Lord Skayro wrote:
I mean a few days ago I saw a civic that needed to drop the engine just to replace the spark plugs.
I can't possibly imagine this to be a real thing.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 15:15
Potenza wrote:
Lord Skayro wrote:
I mean a few days ago I saw a civic that needed to drop the engine just to replace the spark plugs.

Its not. Thereís a thin metal cover under the windshield that needs to be removed. They mustíve thought itís part of the frame. RTFM.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 15:16
Potenza wrote:
Lord Skayro wrote:

Well, did they first pop the hood? Lol

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0