[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda Reports December Sales > > Re: Ridgeline Woes

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

whitgo
Profile for whitgo
Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2019 06:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
What is wrong with the Ridgeline!?
Triaque
Profile for Triaque
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2019 07:25
It doesn't look like a masculine truck and trucks are marketed to pump up the male ego.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2019 15:46
whitgo wrote:

Before answering that question I'd like to know what AHM's target for it was. Did they really expect to upset the segment leaders? I'd guess they did not.

ledebuhr1
Profile for ledebuhr1
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2019 17:41
Also, What is the production capacity of the Lincoln Plant? How much of that production is taken up by the Odyssey, Pilot and Passport? There might not be a whole lot of capacity to build that many Ridgelines.

None
Profile for None
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2019 20:55
ledebuhr1 wrote:
Also, What is the production capacity of the Lincoln Plant? How much of that production is taken up by the Odyssey, Pilot and Passport? There might not be a whole lot of capacity to build that many Ridgelines.

That factory is already running way over intended capacity, where does the original poster think Honda would be building more Ridgelines, Odysseys or Pilots, now comes the Passport.

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2019 13:06
gofast182 wrote:
whitgo wrote:

Before answering that question I'd like to know what AHM's target for it was. Did they really expect to upset the segment leaders? I'd guess they did not.

I think this is also a relevant point. Their sales targets to pay for the Ridgeline investment are certainly much smaller than that of say...the Titan. If they are making money, that to me is a bigger barometer of success.

It may not cater to the egotists, but I honestly don't think that makes up the majority of truck sales.

Triaque
Profile for Triaque
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2019 20:39
The big three market trucks to men. The media, our society and culture conditions males that they have to have a big masculine sexy truck to be a man. Honda isn't doing that in marketing nor in the type of product.
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2019 23:00
Triaque wrote:
The big three market trucks to men. The media, our society and culture conditions males that they have to have a big masculine sexy truck to be a man. Honda isn't doing that in marketing nor in the type of product.

I wander why more and more women are buying trucks then? Especially where I am at in Texas.

https://airwaysmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/737-yellowstone-y1-patent-concept.jpg

Honda thinks the BOF trucks are not green, not good for Mother Earth or whatever Bovine Scatter reason they delude themselves with. Which is fine because I think the market is actually coming to them sort of, with Ford, and Hyundai rumored to be working on unibody trucks.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact Toyota moved over 200K Tacomas last year, and it was not the best truck in the segment.

rocky
Profile for rocky
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 17:08
whitgo wrote:

To answer the question, we need to know what were your expectations.

Twiz
Profile for Twiz
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2019 22:52
As Much as I love the Ridgeline, It's pretty pricey.

I can get a Tacoma TRD Sport for almost $2,000 less than a RT-L. I would never buy another Tacoma but I why someone would choose it over a Ridgeline.

Also, the 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 is pretty dam nice, with the discounts and what not, the price is pretty much the same as a Ridgeline. It's a bigger truck, newer tech, better gas mileage on paper... etc..... Again it's a Dodge v.s a Honda but if I was to do a 2-3 year lease, I don't know if I would pick the RL over the Ram.

LHT62
Profile for LHT62
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 13:44
I think many people buy Tacomas because they want a simple, reliable, body-on-frame FR truck for work and occasional play, and it's not so much a macho thing. The vast majority of Tacomas I see here in SoCal are 2wd, even most TRD Sports (not the Off-Road trim, of course). Heck, even our city bought new Tacomas outfitted with rear dumpster carriers to move dumpsters into the street for unloading.

Though most people probably don't do much towing in their compact trucks, you have to get a AWD Ridgeline to get it's maximum towing capacity, which still falls short of a base 2wd V6 Tacoma's towing capacity.

The Tacoma definitely shows cost-cutting with its rear-drums, cheap seats, and anemic automatic transmission. However, I did test drive a 6MT TRD Off-Road, and now I'm lusting after that truck. Compared to the 6AT, the shorter gearing with the 6MT seems much better matched to the 3.5L's power delivery, despite the 6MT's fuel economy penalty.

I haven't driven a Ridgeline, but for an automatic, that drivetrain is fantastic in my GF's '17 RDX. The J35 with its 6AT is such a great match. It feels like it's almost always in the gear that I would want. The Ridgeline is clearly the better daily commuter and road trip machine.

The GM twins are probably good trucks, but need to build some reliability cred. The new Ranger is spanking the Tacoma in comparison reviews so far, and hopefully the 2.3L EB and 10AT are well sorted. It's great to see more competition in this segment.

Triaque
Profile for Triaque
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 16:57
And still the new Ridgeline looks like a chopped Pilot. And with the right imagination could be perceived as looking like a new
El Camino.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 15:10
whitgo wrote:

The major thing wrong with the Ridgeline is that it is not perceived as a Truck by the majority of those who buy trucks.
That it is pretty much a Pilot with a bed is an efficiency for Honda, as is the Passport, a Pilot with a little bit off the back.
:)

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 15:12
whitgo wrote:

The major only thing wrong with the Ridgeline is that it is not perceived as a Truck by the majority of those who buy trucks.
That it is pretty much a Pilot with a bed is an efficiency for Honda, as is the Passport, a Pilot with a little bit off the back.

Triaque
Profile for Triaque
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2019 18:18
BINGO Superchg2

You have hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what I've been dancing around. It's perception is not fitting in the marketing mold of American BIG OLE masculine trucks that the public is conditioned to purchase in droves regardless of mileage or need.

Purchasing a Honda Ridgeline is not an emotional purchase it's a practical purchase.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-13-2019 14:40
superchg2 wrote:
whitgo wrote:

The major only thing wrong with the Ridgeline is that it is not perceived as a Truck by the majority of those who buy trucks.

So, I was at the gas station today and this fellow was standing in the back of his truck filling up his large Honda generator's fuel tank.

The truck was a Black Dodge Ram 1500 4WD with Hemi.

Triaque
Profile for Triaque
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-14-2019 17:15
Superchg2:

yes, That is a trend you will see until you get tired of making a tick mark tally sheet note book.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 15:05
Triaque wrote:

And yet, over the 15 months we've had our BE, I've had three GUYS come up and complement me on the truck.

It has very nice lines.

And that swinging tailgate just blows people away...

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 15:12
superchg2 wrote:
whitgo wrote:

The major thing wrong with the Ridgeline is that it is not perceived as a Truck by the majority of those who buy trucks.

Yeah, you can tell that to all the trucks I passed by on our recent trip to the Puget Sound... up and down mountain roads, heavy rain, cross winds.

The best one was the big Ford AWD that kept on the fast lane coming down Mt. Shasta. He thought he was Fangio, I guess, but his truck was at very odd angles in the turns, while I just sat back until I got to pass him.

Then he tried to keep up... I honestly thought he was gonna roll over.

The Suburban with the Macho look too...

You see, that unibody, with torque vectoring AWD and those high profile tires give you a ride that offers ample warning when the front in gonna wash out, but then you get the back end steering you just as most needed.

Meanwhile, the high profile tires and long wheelbase (for a Honda) give you a very nice ride, and yet good steering feel.

Also, my understanding is the the Ridgeline is better sorted -rear suspension wise- than the Pilot. Less bouncy.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 15:14
Triaque wrote:
BINGO Superchg2

You have hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what I've been dancing around. It's perception is not fitting in the marketing mold of American BIG OLE masculine trucks that the public is conditioned to purchase in droves regardless of mileage or need.

Purchasing a Honda Ridgeline is not an emotional purchase it's a practical purchase.

No problem, when I get out of the Ridgeline, I always stick a big cucumber wrapped in foil down my crotch (*). That gets me instant respect.

(*) This is Spinal Tap.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 21:35
Triaque wrote:
BINGO Superchg2

There are about 25 full size pickups down at work. I would venture to say that the vast majority of those trucks only carry something once a year. The rest of the time, the owners sit up high, getting about 16 mpg.

Triaque
Profile for Triaque
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 20:07
Superchg2:

I had bought a 2013 Odyssey and only a couple of people knew I had purchased it at work. I really don't get into much personal matter in discussion at work. Well, I found that basically everyone knew......thus the reason I don't speak about much personal matter at work.

Anyway, I had a "truck" guy that is the poster guy for what I've been trying to preach about with my posts. This guy literally came up to me and said something very similar to, "No self respecting guy that calls himself a man drives a mini-van. Men should drive trucks". I was shocked at how well socialization of what it takes to me masculine and what marketing has done to the weak minded......I was floored.

Anyhow.....I just bought my 2019 Odyssey....the best handling dare I say SPORTY Odyssey of all time. If it wasn't for all the electronic wizardry Gremlins that HONDA will never get working as they should....this would be one of the most awesome vehicles Honda has ever produced. Being that they stopped short of perfecting the various technology items it's not the spectacular all new re-introduction of HONDA MOJO that everyone has been looking for. It is VERY VERY close though.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ridgeline Woes [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2019 15:13
LHT62 wrote:
I think many people buy Tacomas because they want a simple, reliable, body-on-frame FR truck for work and occasional play, and it's not so much a macho thing. The vast majority of Tacomas I see here in SoCal are 2wd, even most TRD Sports (not the Off-Road trim, of course). Heck, even our city bought new Tacomas outfitted with rear dumpster carriers to move dumpsters into the street for unloading.

Though most people probably don't do much towing in their compact trucks, you have to get a AWD Ridgeline to get it's maximum towing capacity, which still falls short of a base 2wd V6 Tacoma's towing capacity.

The Tacoma definitely shows cost-cutting with its rear-drums, cheap seats, and anemic automatic transmission. However, I did test drive a 6MT TRD Off-Road, and now I'm lusting after that truck. Compared to the 6AT, the shorter gearing with the 6MT seems much better matched to the 3.5L's power delivery, despite the 6MT's fuel economy penalty.

I haven't driven a Ridgeline, but for an automatic, that drivetrain is fantastic in my GF's '17 RDX. The J35 with its 6AT is such a great match. It feels like it's almost always in the gear that I would want. The Ridgeline is clearly the better daily commuter and road trip machine.

The GM twins are probably good trucks, but need to build some reliability cred. The new Ranger is spanking the Tacoma in comparison reviews so far, and hopefully the 2.3L EB and 10AT are well sorted. It's great to see more competition in this segment.

The '17 RDX has the older style AWD, huh?

We had three of those in a row.. yes the V6 with the 6AT is a perfect match, both in that RDX and the current Ridgeline.

BUT, the new AWD in the Ridgeline is much better than the non torque vectoring version in the RDX. It really make a big difference. The "big" Ridgeline actually feels more nimble than the RDX.

Note, I have not driven the current RDX, this is all about the 2nd gen RDX. I suppose I ought to check it out since we need to replace the Ridgeline this June.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0