[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport > > Re: Paddle shifters

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

garfield134
Profile for garfield134
Paddle shifters [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2019 12:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I recently saw the Passport at the Boston International Auto Show. The model they had on display was the Elite trim level and I noticed it had paddle shifters for the transmission. Are the paddle shifters available on lower trim levels? Lack of paddle shifters was a major detractor for my wife and I buying a 2018 CR-V. The Pilot was too big, the HR-V was too small so we bought an Outback instead. The Passport, though bigger than the Outback, looks like a nice package and a reasonable size and fuel economy trade-off. But, I cannot justify over $40k for an Elite.
Sib
Profile for Sib
Re: Paddle shifters [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2019 13:01
It is my understanding that they come standard on all Passport trims because of the 9-sp. "shift-by-wire".
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Paddle shifters [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2019 13:16
garfield134 wrote:
I recently saw the Passport at the Boston International Auto Show. The model they had on display was the Elite trim level and I noticed it had paddle shifters for the transmission. Are the paddle shifters available on lower trim levels? Lack of paddle shifters was a major detractor for my wife and I buying a 2018 CR-V. The Pilot was too big, the HR-V was too small so we bought an Outback instead. The Passport, though bigger than the Outback, looks like a nice package and a reasonable size and fuel economy trade-off. But, I cannot justify over $40k for an Elite.

The 9AT with paddle shifters and "shift by wire" is standard across all trims.

garfield134
Profile for garfield134
Re: Paddle shifters [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2019 18:01
That would be fabulous!
Triaque
Profile for Triaque
Re: Paddle shifters [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2019 18:26
It doesn't make any difference if the 9 speed has paddle shifters or not. This ZF sourced non Honda transmission is severely flawed in its design and doesn't allow for any real sporting experience because the nature of the gearing design prevents quick response times or any engine braking in high performance situations. I posted a scathing review to AHMC complaining about it in my 2019 Odyssey. See below.

5.) 9 speed Auto Transmission D5 to D4 downshifts....under ANY conditions during the downshift the driver has to deliberately take action to brake rather than rely on engine braking to prevent running into another vehicle if in a follow behind situation. If the driver relies on engine braking AT ALL, the top speed of the vehicle will greatly increase WHEN the objective all along was to gear down for engine braking effect.
Since these new vans have no emergency brake pedal to use if all braking fails, I became very concerned when I noticed that the 9-speed revs the motor up and actually accelerates(pulls the vehicle forward) going down hill while downshifting. This is to such a level that the vehicle cannot engine brake itself. You absolutely HAVE to hit the brakes because it will not slow itself down.

So, when coasting down a 6% and steeper grade with no accel pedal at all.....the transmission does not gear down on its own at all. It will free wheel. Which is fine.

So, when the ACC cruise is engaged with the minimum follow distance set, on a 6% or steeper grade.....the transmission will sequentially downshift. Upon each downshift the engine throttle is blipped causing the vehicle to speed downhill a bit more.....and a bit more. When you get to the D5 to D4 downshift the throttle is agressively blippled and the van will speed ahead as if to pass. Sometimes speeds will reach 75MPH down hill and agressive braking is required by the driver. You then lose your preset ACC. You scare all your passengers. You scare the driver in the vehicle ahead of you. Knowing that I have no emergency brake pedal that I can modulate pressure/braking with the release handle on an incline SCARES ME. Once again, I am not doubting that this occurs, but I have not been able to recreate it while driving in this area.

So. When using STANDARD
cruise control set on a 6% or steeper grade.....the transmission will downshift. Upon each downshift the engine throttle is blipped causing the vehicle to speed downhill a bit more.....and a bit more. When you get to the D5 to D4 downshift the throttle is agressively blippled and the van will speed ahead as if to pass. Sometimes speeds will reach 75MPH down hill and agressive braking is required by the driver. You then lose your preset cruise control. Knowing that I have no emergency brake pedal that I can modulate pressure/braking with the release handle on an incline and no engine brake SCARES ME.

So. When using Paddle Downshifting with NO Cruise.
Downshifting manually using the minus paddle produces the same exact effect. Each sequential downshift from D7 slightly blips the throttle. Once you reach the D5 to D4 downshift the van aggressively accelerates for about 2 seconds and speeds forward. By that time the vehicle momentum has increased greatly along with velocity. The only thing you can do is brake when trying to slow this van down. Engine braking does not work. Its' always an over all speed increase.
THE ISSUES WITH THIS ARE SAFETY RELATED. THERES NO REAL ENGINE BRAKING ON GRADES ABOVE 5%. IF THE BRAKES WERE TO FAIL YOU CANNOT MODULATE AN EMERGENCY BRAKE PEDAL AND GET THE VEHICLE STOPPED. I WOULD NEVER HAVE PURCHASED KNOWING THAT THIS WAS NOT A HONDA TRANSMISSION AND THAT IS ACTS THIS WAY.....

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0