[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Driveô
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > 4th Generation TL > > Re: Replace 03 CLS6 with 12 TL SH-AWD 6MT?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
03CLS6MT
Profile for 03CLS6MT
Replace 03 CLS6 with 12 TL SH-AWD 6MT?    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2016 23:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I currently have a 2003 CLS6 with 173K miles, black on ivory, in very good shape. I love the car, but know it won't last forever. Saw a 2012 TL SH-AWD 6MT with 92K miles listed for $17K by a local Acura dealer. Haven't driven it yet, but it's very tempting. A few questions:

1. Thoughts on the 4G TL 6MT SH-AWD from anyone who's driven one?

2. Would the high mileage be a concern? I would assume that they'd be highway miles, which would be easier on a clutch and certain other components than a ton of city miles.

3. Any thoughts on a reasonable trade or sale value for my CL, and does anyone think it's likely to GAIN value as time passes given that they only made the 6MT in 2003, and that I have one of about 250 black on ivory 6MT models?

Thanks!

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Replace 03 CLS6 with 12 TL SH-AWD 6MT?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 14:50
Odd:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-generation-cl-discussion-2000-2003-50/upgrade-03-cls6-12-tl-sh-awd-6mt-947171/

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Replace 03 CLS6 with 12 TL SH-AWD 6MT?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 14:56
I meant to say "Old" and I wasn't done typing but submitted on accident.

A buddy of mine has an opportunity to get a 12 TL manual and asked me about it, but I've never even been in one. I found this thread when googling, so figured I'd ask if anyone knows of outstanding issues with the SH-AWD model.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Replace 03 CLS6 with 12 TL SH-AWD 6MT?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 15:44
DCR wrote:
I meant to say "Old" and I wasn't done typing but submitted on accident.

A buddy of mine has an opportunity to get a 12 TL manual and asked me about it, but I've never even been in one. I found this thread when googling, so figured I'd ask if anyone knows of outstanding issues with the SH-AWD model.

I owned a 2011 that I bought from a Honda associate with 57k miles until I sold it with 185k miles. I think I'm the only one on here who has actually owned one. What would you/he like to know specifically? I would tell him to get it in a heartbeat if he likes how it drives. I absolutely loved mine and still miss it. It is an inescapably large and nose heavy feeling car, but the manual transmission and SH-AWD work together to seemingly defy physics. It sure felt as though I was going around corners twice as fast than any car I've ever owned, including my S2000 and newly acquired '18 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT. The guy that bought it from me was also an enthusiast and made the same comment. Somehow, the car makes you feel like you're driving crazy fast but at the same time 100% in control and confident in any condition. When he test drives the car, tell him to drive on an on-ramp at moderate speed in 3rd or 4th gear and just FLOOR the throttle halfway through. That's how I sold mine.

The only major nitpicks I had with the car were the dashboard height and the totally dead on-center steering feel - but that on-center numbness combined with the amazing seats translated into a highway cruising machine that could soak up hundreds of miles in a day. My Accord feels like I'm driving a spooked cat on the highway in comparison.

My TL was rock solid reliable - by far the most reliable car I've ever owned. In my entire ownership up to 180k miles, I replaced the rear engine mount and the gas tank pressure relief solenoid in the engine bay. That was literally it besides brakes, batteries, routine maintenance and fluids. There are some stories floating around about the SH-AWD driveshaft bearings but I never had that problem. After 180k miles...I had a freak transmission failure due to a seized mainshaft needle bearing that happened 250 miles from home. I limped it home having to triple or quadruple clutch to get it into gears which resulted in the transmission basically grenading itself from the debris of the seized needle bearing. I found a used one online and had it installed by a transmission shop for ~$2500 total including the trans, new clutch, to bearing, pilot bearing, resurfaced flywheel. I have never read of a similar instance on Acurazine or heard of one anywhere, so I assume that it was a one-off bad luck type thing. I had replaced my MTF every 25-35k miles with a mix of Honda and GM Syncromesh.

Anyway - would buy again 100%. It's an extremely interesting and unique car, and one of the most underappreciated enthusiast cars ever made IMO. It was really difficult for me to let it go. I second guessed myself more about giving the TL up than my '03 S2K...

MGP999
Profile for MGP999
Re: Replace 03 CLS6 with 12 TL SH-AWD 6MT?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 18:29
Traded in my 18 Accord Touring for a 2010 6MT back in December and it is quite an impressive driver's car. The only thing I would add to the list of things to stay of top off is the oil consumption. You will probably need to add a quart or two every thousand miles in addition to adding the sychromesh to remedy the 3 gear popout or reverse gear issues.
Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Replace 03 CLS6 with 12 TL SH-AWD 6MT?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 19:06
MGP999 wrote:
Traded in my 18 Accord Touring for a 2010 6MT back in December and it is quite an impressive driver's car. The only thing I would add to the list of things to stay of top off is the oil consumption. You will probably need to add a quart or two every thousand miles in addition to adding the sychromesh to remedy the 3 gear popout or reverse gear issues.

Hah, you went backwards from me. Congrats!! Do you ever miss how nimble and light the Accord feels, and how quick the turn-in is in comparison? That was what drew me to it after 5 years of piloting the TL.

+1 on oil consumption. I forgot about this. With the MT itís especially bad as engine pulls vacuum way more than AT car (no load load/high RPM like coasting down in gear). A quart every 1k miles was about what I remember.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Replace 03 CLS6 with 12 TL SH-AWD 6MT?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 19:28
MGP999 wrote:

I have an auto have had propeller shaft and alternator replaced within a month of each other this time last year. Also front and rear rotors replaced and multiple pad intervals. Low oil pressure warning and of course Takata airbag to name a few. I only have 63k miles but almost 10 years so overall I guess it has been realiable; but some of the out of warranty fixes were not cheap. The propeller shaft and alternator whammy was about 3k in unexpected expense and the dealer covered most of the parts cost. There are also known torque converter issues not sure if that would apply to the manual.
Based on magazine test of its time the 6MT was well capable with its comparable set, so if maintenance was some what kept in check one will be fine. You will be getting a great interior that still will feel fresh and I'm ok with the exterior looks as well , especially when customized considering some of the monstrosities on the market today!

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Replace 03 CLS6 with 12 TL SH-AWD 6MT?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 22:22
I had a 03 CL-S, went to a 08 TL base and currently have a 2011 TL SH-AWD. Oil consumption will be an issue and Iíve only replaced the alternator and an 02 sensor in 3 years of ownership. About to take advantage of the TSB/extended warranty for the oil consumption issue, start a oil consumption test at my dealer so I can qualify for free pistons/rings under the extended warranty.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0