[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
General Talk --> Re: C&D,The 2019 Honda Pilot Looks Tougher and Drives Better
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0 touring or TLX V6 Tech FWD
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity BEV
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Odds of a hatchback SiR?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2009 Honda S2000 Edition 100
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Red Bull Racing Confirms Gasly for 2019
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> hodge·podge
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Cash incentives for the Canadian Accord?
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: CEL problems
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > TOVA : Honda CR-Z PowerTrain/Driving Dynamics > > Re: Thanks

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Thanks [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-22-2010 08:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Thanks to everyone for your kind words of encouragement. When I sat down to write the article, I was impressed by the amount of thought Honda R&D engineers put into the CR-Z. I was especially surprised by how much work when into the 'sporty' aspect of the car.

Yes, I still think CR-Z could be different/better but that is simply for my own requirement. Others feels it is fine as it is and that is a very valid opinion as well. More importantly I hope everyone who have read it also shares the same degree of appreciation for the CR-Z as I now have. Honda R&D did put in a lot of work into the car.

There are a few small additions/correction to my article, courtesy of Daniel (and special thanks as well). This is especially important because it is related to the part about the auto-stop system for the 6MT, which I was very concerned I interpreted wrongly. It turns out I wasn't that far wrong. Anyway, they will be published as an addendum later tonight when I have the time and will be uploaded tonight (my time : GMT+8hours) as well.

Cheers to everyone. I continue to wish Honda success with the CR-Z.

CR-V9
Profile for CR-V9
Re: Thanks [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2010 19:43
Well, well. Enough with this love-fest.

My question to you, Mr.Wong, is what would you do to make it the CR-Z Si if you were Honda.

CR-V9
Profile for CR-V9
Re: Thanks [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2010 19:48
I meant the love-fest with this CR-Z thing.
WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Thanks [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2010 22:27
My opinion is we need to accept the suspension configuration as it is. This is because the CR-Z is in Honda's compact class of cars, along with Fit/Jazz, City, etc and for these models, their suspension -IS- strut-beam. So the CR-Z comes with the same thing. I think Honda decided that their first sporty hybrid must be affordable in order to have the widest appeal. So there's nothing we can do here.

The rest of the car is quite nicely done really. My only 'complaint' is the engine specs. A much sportier engine - in the Honda tradition - is necessary, at least for my requirement. To me, a sporty Honda engine is high revving with high specific power (please, no more stories about super-bikes. Like I have said before, I am very familiar with them. But I have never considered owning 1 because it is suicide to ride one here in ASEAN). In this case, an IMA engine has an advantage as the electric motor can be used to reinforce the low-end/mid-range torque of the engine, making it really, a near perfect combination for Honda's engine prowness. So my take is that Honda can easily build a 1.5 or 1.6l DOHC iVTEC LSeries or something similar sized and squeeze 150 or 160 or even 170hp out of it. They have done it numerous times before. And now they can go even higher because at 100hp/litre, we start to have compromises in the low-end/mid-range, plus a smooth transition of in VTEC - i.e. mild to wild cams and vice versa. i-VTEC helps a lot and the electiric motor assist can be remapped to give us a race like engine with ample low-end/mid-range torque, and smooth power delivery.

So for me really, my needs are quite simple. A more sporty engine. Having owned the Fit/Jazz for 6 years now, plus experience with the FN2 CTR, I am familiar with what Honda can do with the strut-beam suspension handling wise and for a car in this segment, size as well as pricing, I feel it is acceptable. So just more performance from more power and a higher rev-limit. It's so near, yet so far.

BTW, please no more stories about how 90hp is enough or questions why I need more than 124hp. I have my standards and I don't compromise. To me, a sporty Honda is a lot more than merging with traffic. Plus the realities of driving in ASEAN is different from that in other countries.

CR-V9
Profile for CR-V9
Re: Thanks [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2010 18:59
Thanks, Wong.
Now it sounds exciting. I agree we are not talking about V8 or V10 here. It is a lousy 1.5l 4cylinder here. Give us some bones. How much CO2 can it spew out ?
WongKN wrote:
The rest of the car is quite nicely done really. ...
So my take is that Honda can easily build a 1.5 or 1.6l DOHC iVTEC LSeries or something similar sized and squeeze 150 or 160 or even 170hp out of it. ...
, I feel it is acceptable. So just more performance from more power and a higher rev-limit. It's so near, yet so far.

That's where your disappointment and respect come together, I guess.

I wonder if the Spoon's reflash is the US emission legal or the Hondata would come up with their own reflash. Plus a cold intake and a cat-back exhaust for $1,500, is it reasonable to look at 140+10=150ph with the current CR-Z ? It is exciting to speculate, isn't it ?
Oh come on ! I am talking less than 1% of 1% of people here.

intune
Profile for intune
Re: Thanks [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2010 12:45
WongKN wrote:
My opinion is we need to accept the suspension configuration as it is. This is because the CR-Z is in Honda's compact class of cars, along with Fit/Jazz, City, etc and for these models, their suspension -IS- strut-beam. So the CR-Z comes with the same thing. I think Honda decided that their first sporty hybrid must be affordable in order to have the widest appeal. So there's nothing we can do here.

The rest of the car is quite nicely done really. My only 'complaint' is the engine specs. A much sportier engine - in the Honda tradition - is necessary, at least for my requirement. To me, a sporty Honda engine is high revving with high specific power (please, no more stories about super-bikes. Like I have said before, I am very familiar with them. But I have never considered owning 1 because it is suicide to ride one here in ASEAN). In this case, an IMA engine has an advantage as the electric motor can be used to reinforce the low-end/mid-range torque of the engine, making it really, a near perfect combination for Honda's engine prowness. So my take is that Honda can easily build a 1.5 or 1.6l DOHC iVTEC LSeries or something similar sized and squeeze 150 or 160 or even 170hp out of it. They have done it numerous times before. And now they can go even higher because at 100hp/litre, we start to have compromises in the low-end/mid-range, plus a smooth transition of in VTEC - i.e. mild to wild cams and vice versa. i-VTEC helps a lot and the electiric motor assist can be remapped to give us a race like engine with ample low-end/mid-range torque, and smooth power delivery.

So for me really, my needs are quite simple. A more sporty engine. Having owned the Fit/Jazz for 6 years now, plus experience with the FN2 CTR, I am familiar with what Honda can do with the strut-beam suspension handling wise and for a car in this segment, size as well as pricing, I feel it is acceptable. So just more performance from more power and a higher rev-limit. It's so near, yet so far.

BTW, please no more stories about how 90hp is enough or questions why I need more than 124hp. I have my standards and I don't compromise. To me, a sporty Honda is a lot more than merging with traffic. Plus the realities of driving in ASEAN is different from that in other countries.

Not that it matters, but for the record, I feel the same. I would even say I don't care if it is SOHC or DOHC, VTEC, i-VTEC, AVTEC or whatever, as long as it revs to 7500+ rpm and puts out 140+hp (gas engine only). It doesn't seem like an unreasonable request or goal, and as long as the displacement doesn't increase, there shouldn't be a hit to the mpg, provided the driver keeps the revs low. Like past sporty Hondas, you always had the choice to drive it fast or drive it efficiently.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0